It’s a little too late to preach about the birds and the bees

On Monday, the Student Program Board brought in ‘Teen Mom’ reality star Maci Bookout to speak at Oakland University.

Yes, this is the same Bookout from the MTV show, which documents the glorified life of teenage moms.

It’s ironic that 200 years ago, someone would be given a scarlet letter for having premarital sex, but now they’re getting television shows and money for it.

At least it was a relevant topic to the average OU student. Or not.

For the fall 2012 semester, 10,366 students, aged 17-22, attended the university, according to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment. The average age of a student is 23, however.

Unless it is abnormal for 23-year-olds to have children, then the statement about this speaking engagement being a relevant topic was sarcastic.

Bookout also cost $8,000 to come over and speak to a bunch of college kids who know what condoms and abstinence are by now.

SPB  also bought mugs and mints decorated with her face to pass out to students. Were not sure how are mugs and mints are advocating against pregnancies though.

All of these facts lie amidst the fact that teen pregnancy is lower than it has been in decades.

The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy reports teen pregnancy has declined by 44 percent from 1991 to 2010.

So why did we bring over the philosophies of MTV to speak to us the dangers of teen pregnancy to an audience of adults?

We’re trying to figure that out, too.

Recently, Sheryl WuDunn spoke on campus at the 2012 Women’s Symposium.

WuDunn was the first Asian-American to be hired by The New York Times and win the Pulitzer prize (for her reporting on the Tiananmen Square protests).

Even with that kind of résumé, she only cost $10,000 to speak at Oakland.

Besides the fact she has a more prestigious résumé than Bookout, she is a much more relevant speaker.

WuDunn spoke on the modern state of human sex trafficking and how women can turn “oppression into opportunity.”

Human trafficking is a grave but lesser known topic worldwide. It is currently the fastest growing criminal industry, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

For only $2,000 more than Bookout.

Bookout isn’t the only person to get famous by getting pregnant at a young age, however.

Bristol Palin, the daughter of Sarah Palin, former GOP vice presidential candidate, was another example of becoming famous from her teen pregnancy.

Although she has be actively campaigning for abstinence, the whole concept is ludicrous, as the Associated Press reported Palin charged anywhere from $15,000 to $30,000 per appearance.

Unfortunately, today a lack of morals can make you rich, and your face can be placed on mint containers and coffee mugs.

And your school will pay for it.

The staff editorial is written weekly by members of The Oakland Post’s editorial board.