COLUMN: Get involved at OU – or else

When I came to Oakland University as a freshman, I didn’t really have much of a direction. I didn’t have goals or aspirations as a student, other than academics. I didn’t get involved right away and certainly missed out on many opportunities to learn and grow because of it. But over the last few, very short years, I’ve learned getting involved is everything in a college student’s life. So with this, I encourage you to get involved.

But where do you start, you ask? I’ve got answers.

Go into the Center for Student Activities and talk to a lady named Jean Ann Miller. She’s one of the sweetest ladies you’ll ever meet and knows everything there is to know about getting involved and about Oakland in general.

You don’t know where to go from there?

Check out GrizzOrgs. You can access this from the SAIL portal online. It has a general list of student organizations that might fit your likings. Maybe you want to get involved in Greek life, or campus entertainment or even student government. GrizzOrgs has you covered. Maybe you want to get involved in the residence halls where you live, or with athletics, or the recreation center. GrizzOrgs can tell you how. Maybe you want to join a student organization that is centered around dancing, singing, politics, social awareness, human rights, the medical field, gaming, radio or writing. GrizzOrgs has that.

Can’t find one you’re looking for? Create one. OU is an expanding atmosphere that welcomes new organizations and people.

College, for most, is only four years long. Those years go by faster than you’ll ever begin to imagine. One minute you’ll be going to your first class as an undergraduate and then, next thing you know, you’re fitting yourself for a cap and gown. Take it from me: someone who didn’t get involved very early and who is now wondering where all the time went. I wish I got involved sooner.

This is your time. Savor it. Spend it doing things that you love doing, with people that you love being around. Give yourself the opportunity to grow and learn, even outside of the classroom. Get involved because you don’t want to be a senior and start wondering what things would be like had you joined something or gotten involved.

You won’t regret it. I promise.

—–

Robbie Williford is the Oakland University Student Body Vice President.

Email him at [email protected]