Valentine: Make the most of your time

A student athlete’s campus experience can sometimes be a year-long process, and for incoming freshman athletes, the transition into full-time student athlete can be tough.

“(The) advice I give to the new guys is to make the most of your time in all aspects,” said Drew Valentine, senior forward for the Oakland University men’s basketball team.

Veteran leadership

Valentine, one of the top scorers from last year’s team and one of two seniors on this year’s team, said college has been an amazing time in his life.  He also said part of the role he takes as one of the leaders on the team, is sharing stories of trials and tribulations he endured at OU.

“Not only has there been success on the court winning over 20 games every year (and) going to the NCAA tournament twice, but I’ve also been able to make the academic all-Summit League team along with the chance to establish many meaningful relationships as well,” Valentine, a communication major, said.

Valentine plans to use this opportunity at Oakland to play professionally,  joining OU alum Keith Benson and Reggie Hamilton with aspirations of one day coaching a Division I basketball team.

“Some of the things to tell incoming guys is that there comes a great chance to play in the NCAA Tournament every year including playing in a top notch non-conference schedule along with the chance to play professionally,” Valentine said. “There are awesome teammates who share a brotherhood amongst one another.”

Campus life

The benefits of attending Oakland do not apply just to incoming athletes but to incoming students as well.

“Campus is clean and easy to get around,” Valentine said. “OU is big enough to see new faces every day. At the same time, there is a maximum walk of 10 minutes to class every day.  I also love the support we get from the students and community at games.”

“I just don’t like how negative people are about this school. It is an awesome place where I’ve been able to live my dreams out,” Valentine said. “Other people should seize the opportunity versus complain.”

Scott MacDonald, assistant athletic director for athletic communication, said the department utilizes their website to promote the university’s student athletes and intercollegiate athletics.

“We design web guides, keep stats (and) write feature stories to celebrate the many accomplishments of these talented student-athletes,” MacDonald said. “We also have student services that sets up academic hours for our student-athletes and tutors in some cases.”

Moving ahead

Seven players are returning from last year’s team, including four starters. Valentine is one of those starters.

“I think the guys will thrive,” Valentine said. “They’re all good guys …  there is a culture at OU of hard work on and off the court, so there should be no problem to fit right in. The academic support here with the coaching staff helps to push players to be good, responsible students.”

—-

Contact Staff Intern Allen Jordan via email at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @aj1218