What does your office door have to say? Part II

1. DAVID BECKER Adjuct Professor of Chemistry

“(The stuff on my door) is there for students,” he said. “Colleges and universities are so often more than a little bit leftist and Oakland University is no exception. I would like all students to first of all enjoy the items on my door, but especially to realize and know that there are some faculty that do not fit the stereotypical leftist professor. I have gotten many ‘thank you’s’ from students passing by, so I think the postings on the door works in this regard.” Becker also said he doesn’t talk politics with students and keeps his opinions of out the classroom in order to maintain an ethical environment.

2. JARROLD GROSSMAN Professor of Mathematics

“I like to post things dealing with mathematics or mathematics education that are funny, like the cartoon about reincarnation — I find it very mathematical, or ironic. The student who wrote in her end-of-term evaluation that because she was an elementary education major, she didn’t need to learn anything about probability or statistics or self-deprecating, where “self” here means mathematics — like the cartoon about the refund from high school because algebra didn’t turn out to be useful after all. Or relevant to my research, the collaboration network for our department,” he said.

3. MARK RIGSTAD Associate Professor and Chair of Philosphy

“There’s a lot of random stuff on my office door: art, especially political art, other interesting political images (mostly related to war, which is one of my professional obsession), some stuff about surfing (my extracurricular obsession), and images of some of my favorite philosophers, scientists, political figures, musicians and athletes,” he said.  Some of these figures include Friedrich Nietzsche, Henry David Thoreau, Billie Holliday and Shaquille O’Neal.