Chase your dreams at Oakland University

While classes have started and welcome week activities have begun, I want everyone to remember one thing: chase your dreams.

After attending the new student convocation and hearing everyone speak at the podium to an O’rena filled with fresh minds that are ready to be cultivated, I took a few things from it. But one of the most important things that I took from it was from Mary Beth Snyder, the vice president for student affairs and enrollment engagement. She said, in far more words, to follow your dreams.

All I’m asking you to do is to listen to her.

This is the beginning of an incredible journey for everyone. Soon, you’ll be in the swing of things and you’ll be interacting with one another throughout your days. It’s going to be a great time. But it’s vitally important for you to follow your dreams. Do the things that you want to do on campus. Get involved in student organizations, academic organizations, fraternities or sororities, or one of the many departments that we have here on campus. Use the many resources that we have here to maximize your future.

Take the classes you need for your major or minor, and then some that you think you’ll find interesting. This is a time of self-discovery and learning. Don’t be afraid to make some mistakes because that’s the ultimate learning experience. It’s better to learn now than later on in life, especially when it comes to your career. You don’t want to finish up here at OU and graduate, and then work for a couple of years only to find out that it’s not what you’re passionate about.

This is your future you’re building. Take control of it. Be awesome at the things that you’re good at and fail at the things that you’re not so that you can learn what things suit you best. But most of all follow your dreams. I don’t care how crazy they may seem because they’re yours. They’re the basic blueprints to your future; the things that you’re building everything from.

Follow your dreams and be passionate about it. Immerse yourself in your learning and your activities. Get involved, even if you decide that you don’t want to do it anymore. Change your major if you have to. It’ll be worth it and you’ll thank yourself later because you’re doing what you want to do with your life.

Most importantly, if someone tells you you can’t do it, use it as fuel. Show them that you’re the boss of your future and that you’ll drive yourself whichever way that leads you to your dreams and passions. Yes, money is good, especially to college students. But happiness is too. Use that to drive you to the things that you want to do the most, no matter what anyone thinks.

Do your thing.