Number of students residing at local hotel continues to drop

Dormitory capacity problems may finally be solved within the next week.

The number of students residing at Homestead Studio Suites Hotel on University Drive in Auburn Hills is down to six male students plus two resident assistants.

The housing department placed students at the hotel after all available on-campus space was taken as residents moved in  Sept. 1.

Housing Director Jim Zentmeyer said the plan is to have all remaining students out of the hotel in the next week or so.

This is the second time the university has had to book rooms at the hotel to provide for students’ accommodations. Last year, residence halls were overbooked by 100 students.

Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Mary Beth Snyder said a discussion on a new residence hall will be on the agenda for the next Board of Trustees meeting Oct. 4 at 2 p.m..

“We are currently talking to the short list of development groups about the availability of various financing options,” Snyder said. “We want to make sure we engage in due diligence in order to arrive at a financial model that is in the long-term best interest of our students and university given the scope of this 450-bed project.”

The Oakland Post will continue to follow this story as more information becomes available.

Contact Senior Reporter Kevin Graham via email at [email protected]