COLUMN: OUSC extends open invitation

There has been quite a bit happening on campus as of late, and I’m wondering if I am the only one who noticed.

As the student body vice president, I’ve been working toward an open invitation at any time to any student who wants to sit down and meet with me about anything that they choose to meet with me about. Any topic. Anything.

I think it’s a great way to put the opportunity out there for people to interact and connect with their student leaders. Whenever I’m in the office, my door is open, along with my mind, so I can be as inviting as possible for anyone who wants to seize that opportunity.

In a literal sense, I know that there are approximately 20,000 of you who could read this column and potentially want to meet with me, plus the hundreds of faculty members or departmental personnel who could as well.

I would do everything that I could to meet with each and every one of you because it’s important for the student administration in place currently and I to fully encompass the student voice; to make sure that it’s heard every time, not just a few times.

Everyone has a different view on a variety of subjects, including parking, a campus-wide smoking ban, Chick-fil-A, Chartwells and so on. I think it’s important to hear what the students have to say because, let’s face it — this university is one that wants to fit the needs of the students, whether you really believe so or not.

But without student voices on campus, how can we try to understand the problems or needs of the general body?

I can answer that question.

Let me remind you all, there are 23 legislators who represent your voice, as well as the Residence Halls Association, who listens to the voice of the people who live on campus.

These are your resources. These are the people that you need to go to when you have a problem, even if it’s small. These resources are here to represent your concerns and do their best to address them.

Having been a part of the RHA and having sat on the legislature last year, I know how much of an influence that these individuals have on creating a better experience for you all on campus.

We have Greek individuals, Housing people, athletes and commuters. They’re all bright people who come from all different places and are involved in a ton of different organizations that want your voice to be heard.

So I challenge you. Come to our general body meetings, which are every Monday at 4 pm in the Oakland Room of the OC. Stop by our office in the basement of the OC. Visit our website (www.oakland.edu/ousc) to find our contact information to email or call us.

I challenge you to find a way to come and tell us your thoughts and ideas on Oakland University.

I challenge you to challenge us as your representation to ensure that your voice is heard every single time.

Lastly, I challenge you to meet with me. Call me. Email me. Have a discussion with me. Come and learn more about OUSC in the process. Learn about the organization that represents you. Learn how you can make a difference.

What do you say?

Robbie Williford is the Oakland University Student Body Vice President. Email him at [email protected]