The leading lady of lacrosse

After trying out for her high school lacrosse team in her sophomore year because it “seemed like something fun to do,” Desiree Messina has gone on to make a name for herself in the sport.

Messina grew up in Macomb and attended Notre Dame Preparatory. As a health science major in her senior year at Oakland University, Messina manages to keep a fair balance between work and play.

“Being a student athlete is tough,” Messina said. “It takes a great understanding of time management skills and being focused and dedicated to both.”

Her dedication to lacrosse begins behind the scenes. Messina trains at Real Detroit Muscle in Troy seven days a week.

“I do weight training and endurance training,” Messina said. “Practices are an hour and a half long, four days a week. We practice basic drills, plays and strategies.”

Racking up awards

In December 2012, Messina was voted the Women’s Collegiate Lacrosse Associates Preseason Player of the Year for the upcoming season. 

“I put a lot of pressure on myself to perform at the highest level possible,” Messina said. “My mindset during a game is very focused. I’m very determined and motivated to help myself and my team play to the best of our abilities.”

Leading up to her senior year, Messina already had a number of honors under her belt. She won All League three years in a row, made first-team All-American and was voted 2012 Midfielder of the Year.

“I have never met someone who works as hard as Desiree,” junior goalie Lauren Pattah said. “When she has a goal, she works to achieve it.”

Down but not out

The road has not been easy for Messina. Lacrosse is a physical sport, and she has the battle scars to prove it. She has broken multiple bones and blew out her left knee two different times, tearing her ACL, MCL and meniscus.

“Injuries are tough both mentally and physically,” Messina said. “To have to work hard to recover and come back to play is a major thing to take on.”

Despite her injuries, Messina has helped continue the Grizzlies’ streak of excellence. The women have been Northeast

ern Division Champions every year since 2007. For four seasons, 2009-12, Oakland has earned the title Women’s Collegiate Lacrosse League Division II Champions.

“She’s fought through so many obstacles and just keeps battling back,” Pattah said. “She comes back stronger and more motivated with each season.”

Head coach Towbey Kassa has seen Messina work her way back to the top after being riddled with injuries.

“She’s worked very hard on the field to get where she’s at,” Kassa said.

A leader on and off the field

Messina and her teammates are quick to shower each other with praise. While she credits them for much of her success, Messina’s leadership skills help her teammates as well.

“She is always encouraging and knows just what to say   to motivate players to play to their potential,” Pattah said. “She cares so much about her teammates, doing everything in her power to help them, both on the field and off the field.”

Messina’s presence on the field helps bring the team confidence.

“She has such a high lacrosse IQ and such awareness on the field, that it’s calming for the rest of us,” Pattah said. “You just know that good things are going to happen when she’s on the field.”

Kassa calls Messina a big piece of the puzzle for the Grizzlies. Her hard work and leadership have brought her to where she is today.

“All of her success is because she worked hard,” Kassa said. “She’s a great person that any coach would like to have.”

Continuing success

Up until this point, Messina’s lacrosse career has come with its share of memorable moments. Two seasons ago, Messina made the game winning goal with two seconds left to beat Michigan State University.

Messina called that game one of the most memorable moments of her career, tied with the moment she received the All-American award at the National Tournament just a couple weeks ago.

Showing her diversity beyond the lacrosse field, Messina played hockey for 10 years. She loves kids, she said, and coaches girls’ lacrosse at Troy High School.

While her career at Oakland is in its last chapter, this won’t be the end of her lacrosse playing. According to Messina, she has plans to continue to play after college.

“I love the sport and everything about it,” Messina said. “I can’t imagine not playing.”

Contact Sports Editor Lindsay Beaver via email at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @lindsaybeavs