EDITORIAL: Graduating with honors, not family — Spring Commencement ticket changes create challenges for graduating students

April 27 will be a significant day for many Golden Grizzlies, including myself.

After four long years, those of us in the Spring 2013 graduating class will finally stride across the stage of the O’rena, shake President Gary Russi’s hand and complete our final task as undergraduate students — participating in commencement.

Unfortunately, many of our family members won’t be able to be there for support.

Due to a change in venue this year, graduates of the university will recieve fewer tickets for Spring Commencement.

Master’s and Doctorate students, who graduate Friday, April 26, will all receive six tickets each.

For Saturday’s commencement, all undergraduates — except for those in the College of Arts and Sciences — will also receive six tickets per graduting student.

Students from the CAS — the only college within the university — however, will receive only four tickets each.

Minutes after Susan Awbrey, interim senior vice president for academic affairs and provost, sent out an email to the graduating class, students from the CAS turned to the “Class of 2013” Facebook page seeking additional tickets from those who will not need all four.

As a student in the CAS myself, I can see their point, as I’m in a similar situation.

When I graduate in April, it will not only be a huge feat for myself, but for my family as well.

I’m the first person on my maternal side of the family to graduate high school, let alone college.

And since my parents are separated and have spouses of their own, my four tickets are already accounted for.

I know I’m not alone.

During 2009 in Michigan, there were 5,300 marriages and 3,200 divorces, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

In 2011, divorce rates in the U.S. accounted for nearly half of the marriage rates, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Besides step parents, students also have siblings, grandparents and aunts and uncles.

In 1990, when most of the graduating class was born, birth rates in the U.S. were the highest they’ve been since 1972, according to the World Bank.

It should come as no surprise that families are large.

But that’s still not the main point.

An undergraduate degree at Oakland costs upwards of $40,000, assuming you’re only staying for the traditional four years.

At $40,000, those four tickets theoretically cost nearly $10,000 each.

Main floor tickets to the 2013 Super Bowl didn’t even cost that much.

I understand why administrators made the decision to switch venues — last year’s commencement ceremony was outside despite chilly weather conditions.

But the O’rena seats only 3,000 people and there are 2,332 eligible students — 895 in the CAS alone —  graduating, according to the Provost’s office.

To alleviate congestion, graduation has been split up into three different ceremonies, but why couldn’t the university move the entire commencement to a venue off campus?

When I graduated from Stevenson High School in Sterling Heights in 2009, we walked across the stage at the Palace of Auburn Hills — all 700 of us.

If Oakland can host the NCAA Division I men’s basketball tournament at the Palace this year, why can’t they host graduation there too?

I can understand scheduling conflicts, but what about a different day or a different venue? Or splitting up the CAS further for the O’rena ceremony?

Graduation is a day everyone works hard for. It would be nice for our families to have the opportunity to celebrate with us.

Nichole Seguin is the Editor-in-Chief of The Oakland Post. Email her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @naseguin