LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Oakland student volunteers play crucial role in success of Region 6 Science Olympiad

Saturday, March 16, Oakland University hosted the Oakland County Science Olympiad for the third year in a row. A total of 1,036 students comprising 70 different teams from grades eight through 12 gathered on campus for a day of science and engineering competition in 46 different events.

The Office of Pre-College Programs and the Department of Chemistry served as liaisons between Oakland University and the Science Olympiad.  However, the success of the event would not have been possible without the dedicated assistance of a group of 30 Oakland University students who volunteered their time.

Activities began at 7 a.m. with the impound of devices for later competitions, and concluded about 8 p.m. with an awards ceremony. Throughout the day the student volunteers assisted with duties, including the running of events, preparation of materials for events, managing logistical details, conducting demonstrations and directing hundreds of visitors around the campus so they could arrive at their designated competition on time.

The organizers of the Olympiad, both internal and external, have nothing but praise for the efforts of the OU student volunteers. Truly, it was an impressive display of community service by a fine group of individuals.

They included:

Bryan Allendar

Samantha Arendell

Kenneth Donoghue

Miranda Belcher

Jonathan Bucan

Adam Cardamone

Anthony Duncan

Mark English

Anna Falcon

Carmen Folk

Candice Gokey

Janelle Hallauer

Oskar Horyd

Alicia Joly

Megan Kabara

Jessica Koppen

Melvin Kucway

Daniel Kurtz

Marek Kusnierz

Walter Lashar

Brandon McCullough

Kathrin Parisi

Miranda Pelky

Nicholson Reed

Andrew Rusyniak

Leart Sejdrasi

Trung Tran

Alyssa Vitale