Comments (8)

All The Oakland Post Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• A

Avery S.Apr 25, 2024 at 9:32 PM

Kablak isn’t “anti-OUSC.” He’s doing what good journalists do. It’s a breath of fresh air for the post. Keep up the good work, Nick.

Reply
  • F

FerdanApr 24, 2024 at 8:01 AM

Oakland Post release your budget challenge

Reply
  • B

BarryApr 20, 2024 at 10:43 AM

What has the OP been doing lately? Why are we seemingly angry about fiscal responsibility? How bad would it be if the outgoing admin spent all of the money? The next admin would have functionally no reserves. Sure, OUSC allocates more than it spends at times, but isn’t that a good thing? The money that isn’t allocated can be used for other purposes. And those allocations are estimates made months out from when they’ll be used. Not to mention a lot of OUSC projects have helped plenty of students…

Reply
  • T

TyApr 20, 2024 at 1:00 AM

Hey club sports, when you don’t get more money because of the lack of due diligence on behalf of your campus media, thank this guy.

Reply
  • A

AnonyApr 20, 2024 at 12:35 AM

Alternative title: Does the OP need new ideas?

Reply
  • T

TrueJApr 20, 2024 at 12:21 AM

This is really weird, some how OUSC saying student organizations should get more money, has been weaponized to attack ousc. Where’s the Oakland posts budget, every other week the Oakland post FILLS several recycling bins to the TOP with newspapers no one read. And they still aren’t printing less. Irresponsible waste of your tuition.

Reply
  • E

Ethan Lehman-PaceApr 17, 2024 at 4:44 PM

Hey there, Director of Community Engagement here! The money wasn’t spent because our plans fell through and because I was unable to make it to campus.
    Additionally, I think that you specificially highlighting pronoun pins feels like it’s in poor taste at a time when queer and trans people, as well as DEI initiatives are under attack. You can point out that we don’t spend our full allocations for things but maybe pick one that’s less easily co-opted by bad actors. Also, those are only bought when we need more, that’s allocated in case one runs out or low.

Finally, unlike other SAFAC orgs, if we did not allocate the money in the original budget, it takes a minimum of two weeks to pass a bill to move the money, thus it is far simpler to allocate extra as a safety net.

Reply
    • E

Ethan Lehman-PaceApr 17, 2024 at 5:21 PM

Additionally, it would behoove students to know that the article neglects to share that our “untapped reserves” are both publicly available and featured on the budget sheet that we give out. As it stands, we were sitting at around 181k at the start of the semester. While this may seem like a high amount, one must remember our semesterly allocation—mentioned in the article— and also the initiatives that we *do* spend on—which are not.
      Every safac org has a lot of post-covid savings and we try to ensure we can function even if we have a semester without funding

Reply