The end of an era: OUSC VP says goodbye

It’s been a year since I ran for Student Body Vice President.

One whole year.

Wow, time really does fly. I guess it’s true what they say, you know, time doesn’t stop for anyone. And it hasn’t.

It’s been one heck of a year, I’d say.

Ever since the day that Samantha Wolf and I were named the winners of the Oakland University Student Congress elections, I’ve done nothing but learn, grow and be humbled with the experience of being the voice for the students, no matter who they are, where they’re from, or what their background entails.

Even as I write this, memories come back to me from the first meeting of our newly appointed executive board — I knew this year was going to be spectacular. I knew there were things that were going to happen that were going to amaze me. I didn’t think it’d be this great, but it was.

It would be an understatement to say that we’ve had our fair share of ups and downs as an organization and as a team.

From poorly attended events, to events we couldn’t fit any more bodies into; from initiatives that are raw and rough around the edges to initiatives that are in full force as you read this; from bad meetings to those meetings we left knowing our impact was made and that the students’ voice was definitely heard, it’s certainly been a rollercoaster of a year.

But I wouldn’t have it any other way. I wouldn’t trade this last year for anything else. It’s been an absolute honor to serve you all.

I don’t think I, or anyone else on my team, could have done it without all of the people who cared enough to stand up and let their voice be heard.

Sure, it’ll be weird not being the VP anymore. But don’t worry; I’ll still be around. You’ll still see my face around campus.

You can still come up to me in the Pioneer Food Court and ask me questions.

You can still come to me while I’m in the gym and tell me what’s on your mind.

I’m forever listening to those who want to make a difference.

I will still hug you if you ask me for it. Because true leaders lead with authenticity, with passion, with a big heart, no matter what and that’s what I plan to do.

It’s time for something new.

It’s time for a new team to lead you all.

It’s time for a new set of leaders to guide you with their vision, their open ears, and their idea for change that can last.

I hope you all will join me in supporting next year’s Student Body President and Vice President, Brandon Hanna and Jibran Ahmed.

With some help from you and your voice, I know we can make the next year a great one. But we can only do it together.

This isn’t goodbye, but this is the end of an amazing chapter, one that so many amazing people have helped us write.

Thanks again for a great year. I love you all.

Stay golden, Oakland University.

Robbie Williford is the Oakland University Student Congress Vice President.

Email him at [email protected]