COLUMN: To make it brief: Vote in the elections

Every year, as you may already know, there is an election that determines who will become the next Student Body President, Vice President and all of the Legislators that help make your voice heard.

For president and VP, the process begins with a duo that decide that they want to make Oakland University a better place through commitment to the student body, leadership to the community and dedication to the university as a whole.

For legislators, it’s simply those who want to make a difference through the representation of students all across campus.

Students who run for these positions put their hearts into campaigning, marketing themselves, researching solutions to the problems that student face here and creating initiatives that help make this place better.

They focus their time and energy on the things that matter to the general student body, and because of that, they deserve to let their ideas be seen and heard by all of you reading this.

Yeah, I said it.

Educate yourself on all of those who are running to represent you.

You may not think that it matter, but if you don’t vote, you can’t complain about anything on this campus.

I know that’s a saying that may be overused, but think about it: If you don’t vote, you relinquish the voice that you have ever being heard.

Do you want that? I certainly don’t want that, not only for me but also for each and every one of you.

Last school year, there was a total of approximately 1,500 votes.

This year, we want to double that.

Having 3,000 students submit a vote is our goal — that means 3,000 voters that have taken the time to look at the platforms of each candidate, 3,000 voters that have met with the candidates to discuss ideas and student concerns, and 3,000 voters that decided they care about the future of this university.

I hope you’ve attended the presidential and vice presidential debates recently.

I hope you’ve met with the candidates.

I hope you’ve visited their websites and have seen their vision for what can make the Oakland community a better place to be.

If you haven’t done so, I challenge you to take the time to do it.

If you work diligently, it should only take you an hour and a half at most to see what each candidate is bringing to the table. And each one has something different.

But no matter what, every candidate wants their best version of what would make this wonderful place even better.

Lastly, when you choose not to vote, you’re choosing to not be the difference.

“When you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything.”

An investment in the future of this university is an investment in your own future. Vote.

Be the difference.

Go to www.oakland.edu/voteou, from March 18-20 and make a difference.

Robbie Williford is the Oakland University Student Congress Vice President. Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @rfwilliford