Around the Diamond

BASEBALL

April 3

In Oakland’s first home game of the season, the Grizzlies cruised to a 14-2 victory over Olivet College. Freshman shortstop Mike Brosseau had four RBI and freshman Brett Impemba went 2-3 with two RBI in the designated hitter’s role.

Junior left-hander Jason Hager earned the victory after throwing one inning of relief, striking out one and giving up a hit. The Grizzlies scored 11 runs in the fourth and fifth inning combined.

April 5 – Game 1

The Grizzlies opened up Summit League play with a 5-1 win against Western Illinois at Alfred D. Boyer Stadium in Macomb, Illinois. It was the first game of a doubleheader.

Senior infielder Mike Carson went 2-4 with a home run and two RBI while sophomore outfielder Trent Drumheller went 2-3 with a walk.

Hager recorded his second win in as many games after giving up one run in seven innings and striking out four.

April 5 – Game 2

Oakland completed the doubleheader sweep with another victory against Western Illinois, defeating their Summit League rival 4-2.

Brosseau went 3-3 with one RBI and a walk. Sophomore right fielder Robby Enslen was 2-4 with one RBI. Sophomore right-hander Jake Paulson walked away with the win after giving up no runs on three hits in eight innings of work. He struck out six with no walks.

The Grizzlies had a three-run second inning with one RBI from freshman catcher Drew Bechtel, senior left fielder Todd Dunham and Brosseau each.

April 7 – Game 1

Oakland’s four-game winning streak was snapped after a 7-0 loss to Omaha at Ballpark at Boys Town in Omaha.

Junior right-hander Tim Koons recorded the loss after giving up six runs in 5.1 innings pitched, striking out two and walking one batter. For Omaha, senior right-hander Matt Tew went seven innings, giving up just one hit and striking out seven.

The lone Oakland hit came courtesy of Carson in the fifth inning when he singled to left field.

April 7 – Game 2

Omaha swept the doubleheader with a 7-4 victory over Oakland Sunday. Freshman right-hander Lucas Scocchia recorded the loss after giving up five runs (three earned) on seven hits in three innings.

Oakland was not quiet on the base paths, finishing with a total of 11 hits. Dunham and Enslen had three knocks each while sophomore infielder Spencer Marentette went 2-3.

SOFTBALL

April 5 – Game 1

The Grizzlies took the first game of a doubleheader after defeating IUPUI 5-1 at IUPUI Softball Field in Indianapolis. Freshman Erin Kownacki earned the victory, throwing seven innings and giving up one run on four hits. 

Senior infielder Erin Galloway and freshman infielder Sarah Hartley each went 2-4 to contribute to Oakland’s nine hits for the game. Junior outfielder Whitney Weston knocked in two runs with a single to center field in the sixth inning.

April 5 – Game 2

IUPUI avoided the doubleheader sweep with a 6-1 win over Oakland. Freshman Laura Pond recorded the loss after giving up four runs on six hits in 5.1 innings of work. She struck out five and walked a batter.

The Grizzlies finished with five hits in the game and the lone run came unearned in the fourth inning after Galloway scored on a fielding error.

April 6

Oakland dropped the final game of the series with a 3-2 loss to IUPUI. Kownacki gave up three runs, all unearned, in six innings. She struck out five and gave up seven hits.

The Grizzlies scored both of their runs in the second inning, where they held a temporary 2-0 lead. IUPUI answered back in the second, scoring three runs on three hits.

– Compiled by Lindsay Beaver, Sports Editor