Master’s of Public Health degree passes, students recognized for achievement at Board of Trustees meeting

A Master of Public Health degree was just one of the many topics discussed at the Oakland University Board of Trustees meeting April 3.

Other items up for discussion included the appointment of a distinguished professor, proposed ancillary budgets for the 2013-14 operational year, renovations to housing and on-campus amenities like the recreational center and the Oakland Center and the recognition of three student award winners.

Eveslage, Hanif awarded Alfred G. and Matilda R. Wilson awards

OU senior Benjamin Eveslage, current BOT student liaison, was awarded the Alfred G. Wilson award for his contributions to Oakland during his three years at the university.

Eveslage was a leader in multiple student organizations on campus, including serving as OUSC President from 2011-12.

On April 27, Eveslage will graduate from Oakland with a degree in international relations — a degree he obtained in three years.

During his tenure at the university, Eveslage maintained a 3.85 GPA in the Honors College and interned at the U.S. Department of State Detroit Passport Agency with U.S. Senator Carl Levin and at the University of Central Lancashire Business School in Preston, United Kingdom. He also spent time living in Ghana conducting research for the university.

“Do you sleep?” said BOT Chairperson Michael Kramer to Eveslage. “You have an exemplary record. It’s wonderful to be even associated with the university that is lucky enough to turn out a fine, fabulous person like you.”

Subha Hanif, a senior pursuing a biology degree, was awarded the Matilda R. Wilson award for her commitment to campus life.

As a freshman, Hanif was the only student in Michigan selected to attend a summer medical and dental educational program at the University of Virginia. She was also invited to speak at the American College of Emergency Physcians conference in Denver, Colo.

Also a member of the Honors College, Hanif has maintained a 3.89 GPA during her tenure.

On campus, Hanif served as president of Alpha Lamda Delta National Honors Society, founded the Women’s Health Awareness workshops and served as a student representative for the OU Senate.

“We are honored to have had your presence and all of the honors that you have been part of,” Kramer said. “I am very impressed.”

The Alfred G. and Matilda R. Wilson awards are presented annually to a male and female senior who have maintained high academic standards as well as being highly involved in the campus community.

Kristock awarded Human Relations Award

Nick Kristock, a graduating senior studying business administration, was awarded the OU Human Relations Award for his contributions to human relations at the university.

Kristock, a member of the OU soccer team, received the Summit League Academic All-Conference award in 2010, 2011 and 2012, was named a Golden Grizzlies Academic Award winner four times and while maintaining a 3.85 GPA in the Honors College, he made the Dean’s List every semester during his time at Oakland.

Kristock was also involved in the OUCARES Autism Soccer Clinic, Meals on Wheels, Gigs for Goods and more.

The OU Human Relations Award is given annually to a graduating senior who has made outstanding contributions to intergroup understanding and conflict resolution at the university.

“It’s a pleasure to know you, to have you here,” Kramer said. “I’m hoping one of the three of you will invite me to the (presidential) inauguration, even when I’m an old guy.”

Slavin appointed as distinguished professor

Physics professor Andrei Slavin was appointed as a distinguished professor by Interim Provost Susan Awbrey for his “internationally acclaimed preeminence in scholarship.”

Slavin, who obtained a Ph.D. in 1977 from Leningrad Polytechnic Institute, was recruited by Oakland as an assistant professor in 1991. He was promoted to associate professor with tenure in 1994 and then to professor in 1998.

According to BOT documents, Slavin’s research has been focused on “spintronics,” a growing field of physics based on the intrinsic spin of the electron and its magnetic movements.

He has written five publications with over 100 citations and was awarded six grants totaling over $3 million in funding to the university.

Slavin was elected as a fellow of the American Physical Society in 2010.

Slavin’s appointment as distinguished professor includes a one-time salary stipend of $2,500 plus an annual supplies and services allocation of $1,500 for five years, all of which are paid for from the Provost’s Discretionary Fund.

Master’s of Public Health Degree passes

Presented by Academic Affairs, the Health Sciences Program and School of Health Sciences, a Master’s Degree in Public Health was unanimously approved by the board.

Expected to start fall 2013, the program’s mission is to “prepare graduate students to preserve, protect and promote the health of human populations through organized community efforts.”

“I think healthcare is a growing and expanding need, so I support it fully,” said Jayprakash Shah, a member of the BOT.

The degree will consist of 44 credits and students are expected to complete the degree in two years by carrying a normal course load.

Other items discussed

All of the proposed budgets, including campus recreation, Graham Health Center, Lowry Center for Early Childhood Education, Meadow Brook Music Festival, Meadow Brook Theatre, Oakland Center and housing, were approved. Contracts for the Engineering Center’s low voltage systems and the beginning of phase one of the 10-year program to renovate the plumbing of Hamlin Hall, were also passed.

Samantha Wolf, current OUSC President, made a proposal to the BOT concerning the possibility of a future expansion to the Oakland Center.

“On behalf of students, I’m requesting that you (the BOT) consider the expansion of the Oakland Center for the future.”

The next BOT meeting is scheduled to take place on June 17 in the Elliott Hall Auditorium.