Men’s soccer captain aiming to break the mold

nicholas_kristock

nicholas_kristock

Established in 1990, the Human Relations Award recognizes a graduating senior who has made “an outstanding contribution to intergroup understanding and conflict resolution at Oakland University,” according to an OUGrizzlies.com press release. The award is given to a student who has shown superior academic and co-curricular achievement. For the first time in its history, the award was given to a student-athlete.

Nicholas Kristock, a defender on the men’s soccer team, was named the honoree earlier this month.

“I was really humbled,” Kristock said.  “I’m excited because since the first day I got here I’ve been trying to break the mold for student-athletes. I was excited, definitely honored that my hard work was recognized, but more excited that I was going to put a student-athlete name out there just to represent athletics.”

Leading the way

Kristock began playing soccer when he was four years old. After a brief break from the sport in eighth grade, he got back to action when a coach from a travel team asked if he wanted to be a backup goalie. He accepted the position and now, Kristock is the captain of the men’s soccer team at Oakland.

“The players all really feel like they can come and talk to him,” head coach Eric Pogue said. “I think Nick puts himself on an even level with them, he doesn’t think he’s any better or any worse. He’s just one of them. And I think the players feel really comfortable speaking with him.”

Kristock said he doesn’t do it because he wants the title. When a leader is needed, he said he steps into the position because it is the right thing to do.

“There are 20 guys on my team, and there are 20 leaders,” Kristock said. “Each person leads in their own way and their own time. I just happen to be the one who wears an armband as captain and spokesman for my brothers.”

While naturally falling into a leader’s role, Kristock has also taken to breaking the student-athlete mold.

Breaking stereotypes

Oakland has a history of producing students who not only compete well athletically, but succeed in the classroom.

In January, for the fifth consecutive semester, Oakland led Summit League schools by placing a total of 73 student-athletes on the Summit League Fall Academic Honor Roll.

“I think all 250 (student-athletes) know for sure that they have to set themselves up for life after sports,” Kristock said. “You have to put your work in to get your degree to be successful after.”

The Academic Honor Roll distinction is given to students who post a 3.0 GPA or higher during a semester.

Kristock said from the leadership to the athletes, they all share the same common goal.

“I think that this school puts a bigger focus on study hours,” Kristock said. “From day one, the first thing they talk about is not whether you’re going to start or not or what position you’re going to play. It’s ‘we’re going to put a focus on your grades.’ You’re going to be a good academic student.”

Pogue said that Oakland has a successful mix of students who thrive athletically and academically.

“Here at Oakland, I don’t think we see too much of the stereotypical student-athlete,” Pogue said. “Obviously they’re very good athletically and compete with some of the top programs in the country, and they do a ton of work outside in the community.”

Reaching out

Pogue said Kristock is a leader in the type of mentality that most Oakland student-athletes possess. Aside from athletics and academics, Kristock is heavily involved in the community. He works with the CSA as a leadership consultant and serves as a mentor for autistic students on campus through the Disabilities Support Services Center.

Last year, Kristock and teammate sophomore defender Morgan Spann started a non-profit organization called Gigs for Good. Their goal is to fund mission trips for Christian missionaries to travel around the world wherever they are called to serve. The idea for the organization began when the two decided they wanted to change the world.

“We thought, let’s just do it,” Kristock said. “Stop talking and start acting.”

With a future as a motivational speaker for high school students, Kristock has advice for any future student-athletes who put on a Grizzlies uniform.

“I would say ‘trust the process,’” Kristock said. “Because so often you can break it down to the tiniest situation. You can get a test back that didn’t go the way you planned. Keep working hard and everything works out. Just have confidence and faith in that statement. Trust the process.”

Contact Sports Editor Lindsay Beaver via email at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @lindsaybeavs