Glenn McIntosh encourages students to identify a vision

An all-state football and track star in high school, Glenn McIntosh was an outside linebacker at Central Michigan University before injuries cut his playing career short after just one season.

It was at this point that McIntosh became very involved with student organizations. In his senior year, a few Central Michigan administrators told McIntosh he should pursue a career in higher education.

Now, 27 years later, McIntosh is interim vice president for student affairs and enrollment management at OU.

His approach

In his new role, McIntosh must manage a variety of departments with diverse mandates. With his job affecting so many areas of the university, his colleagues say McIntosh is an effective leader.

“He is always looking for ways for departments to utilize their resources to the best of their ability and find ways to collaborate with one another,” said Sara Webb, director of the First Year Advising Center. “He often is the one that brings folks to the table to really start collective efforts.”

For his part, McIntosh said he tries to make every decision on a case-by-case basis.

“If it’s a student related issue,” he said, “I think the idea is that you want to hear what the problem is, the perception of the individuals bringing the problem, and then you want to find out, ‘how can we help the person achieve what they want within the guidelines of the rules and policies of the university?’”

McIntosh is always looking to create programs to help students attain their educational goals and support student organizations that enhance the campus.

Brandon Hanna, president of Student Congress, worked with McIntosh to get budget management software and lower catering costs for student organizations when McIntosh was Dean of Students.

“He is always there for you whenever you need him. He’s all about the students at OU. He’s very personable and approachable.”

Varied interests

Overweight as a child, McIntosh took health and fitness very seriously as he got older, even making a sport of it.

“I got into weightlifting, which turned into bodybuilding,” he said. “I entered a couple of competitions and ended up winning a couple of titles.”

McIntosh even served as a member of the strength and conditioning staff for Oakland’s athletics department and is a 2004 inductee in the Hollie L. Lepley Hall of Honor at OU.

Speak up

In addition to being an administrator and a one time coach, McIntosh is described by those who know him as an excellent communicator. He is able to speak his ideas clearly to others.

“When he speaks to parents for orientation or students at various events on campus, when he speaks people listen,” said Jean Ann Miller, director of the Center for Student Activities.

Whenever he is asked to speak, he urges students to have a clear vision of what they want to express.

“Understand yourself,” he said. “Understand what you want. Come up with a strategy to really go after the things that you want. Be persistent and understand.”