Inaugural Black & Gold game set for Sep. 7

Welcome Week is an exciting time for students. This year a new addition is being added.

The Black and Gold games will be hosted Sept. 7 at 8 p.m. at the Auburn Hills Civic Center field. The event features a football scrimmage starting at 8 p.m. Following the scrimmage will be a two minute routine by Vitality Dance. To wrap up the nigh,t a Summer Sevens rugby game will begin around 9 p.m. This new addition to Welcome Week not only help raise school spirit but helps students, new and returning, start off the year strong.

“We expect a lot of people to come and see what the Black and Gold  games are all about,” said Ted Tansley, President of the OU Rugby club. “Once the Upper Fields are complete we can expect more people.”

Showcase talent

Playing the games isn’t just for fun in this case. The football and rugby teams are dedicated to prove their worth as they fight to win.

“I am most looking forward to showcasing what’s become of this team to the OU community,” said David Brosky, President of the OU club football team. “Every single one of the guys has put so much time and effort into making this inaugural team the best it can be. We want to show Oakland that we aren’t just there to play, but we are there to win.”

Teamwork

The games feature not only different club sports on campus, but also various student organizations that are helping to support the games and make them possible.

“I look forward to seeing more students and student orgs working together to bring a larger campus community to Oakland,” Tansley said. “That’s what this game allows. It has some club sports working together and it has other student orgs coming and showing support.”

Getting the word out

The teams hope to spread knowledge of the event by word-of-mouth by getting support at the upcoming games.

“I think this game will help spread the word for the new team. A lot of people know about us, but there are still a ton of people who don’t, or choose not to believe it,” Brosky said. “We have been promoting this game for a long time, and I think a ‘sneak preview’ of the team will really help to get the support going. People want to see it to believe it, and that’s exactly the purpose of this game.