A new leader for the GSA

Rebecca Reichenbach is no stranger to student involvement, and as the Fall semester begins, so do the duties as the new president of the Gay-Straight Alliance.

A fourth-year Creative Writing student, Reichenbach will now serve as president of the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) for the 2013-14 year after serving as the Vice President of the organization the previous year.

She is also taking on her first year as treasurer of the Active Minds at OU, which is an organization that centers on mental illness education and awareness. 

Reichenbach holds memberships in other organizations such as the newly official Glee Club.

This summer Reichenbach worked with Professor Annie Gilson to teach creative writing to children at the Baldwin Center in Pontiac.

Reichenbach has a passion for helping any one in need.

“I’ve always been a supporter of equal rights. [My high school was] a pretty conservative area,” Reichenbach said. “There were only a few openly gay kids at my school.”

Reichenbach is able to do more at OU to spread the message of equal rights and tolerance, making sure all students feel welcome and safe.

Reichenbach hopes the GSA is able to “spread awareness of the LGBTIQA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer/Questioning and Allied) community and it gives students a safe space on campus.”

This month the GSA will be having a LGBTIQA Welcome Reception, a viewing of the documentary “Straightlaced: How Gender’s Got Us All Tied Up,” and its first informational meeting.

The GSA celebrated its 10th anniversary last year and, according to Reichenbach, the organization’s most popular event is the GSA Drag Show.

“We get 500 to 600 people at the event,” she said. “The students don’t necessarily know who hosts the Drag Show but they are receiving our message”

The GSA meets at the Gender & Sexuality Center at the lower level of the Oakland Center. Meetings are held on Thursdays at noon.

You can find more information about the alliance and contact information for Rebecca at the GSA page on Grizz Orgs.