Women’s basketball 2022-23 season roundup

Bijon Stigger

Breanne Beatty prepares to take a shot during Saturday’s Cleveland State game.

The Oakland women’s basketball team ended the season 13-17 overall and 8-12 in the conference. 

This is a team that can be described as dedicated to the game. Despite the Golden Grizzlies being knocked out of the Barbasol Horizon League women’s basketball championship by Wright State University by 10 points, the women have proved their potential for next year.

Regardless of where they stood in record standings, their progress throughout the season was always shown, improving game after game. Improving is always a plus for any team, and the great strides they made throughout the season were certainly something to see.

What makes this team so special was that, even though they didn’t go to the next level, the perseverance they had will not be overlooked, because each game they came out with determination and pride. 

The chemistry was continuously getting better each game, which made it worthwhile.

Returning senior leader Breanne Beatty played the best of both worlds this season, on the offensive and defensive side of things. Her leadership was always shown, making sure her voice was heard on the court. 

Raquel Ferrer-Bernad is a senior as well, known for knocking down corner triples and making plays.

These two seniors’ impact on the court will be missed. It is now an end to an era, but they will always be remembered as student athletes who did their best and gave their all. 

Obtaining Alexis Johnson out of the transfer portal was a significant pickup, too. Throughout the season, there was never a time where she didn’t deliver.

Kennedie Montue was also known throughout the season as a true shooter. 

Additionally, Brooke Quarles-Daniels earned Horizon League Freshman of the Year— the first in program history to accomplish this.

Quarles-Daniels is also the only freshman on all three All-League teams with six Nike Freshman of the Week Horizon League awards. All of her accolades were well-deserved, to say the least. 

Every player on this Oakland team brought something unique to the game that made it exciting to watch. 

The women’s basketball team will now take this time off to grow and use this as an opportunity to prepare for next season and exceed expectations. They will come back stronger and hungrier for a women’s basketball title.