Posties pick their fav rom-coms

Here at the Oakland Post, we love a good romantic comedy.

Present us with an eclectic cast living in the big city with lavish lifestyles and massive apartments you know they couldn’t afford working in real life as a fashion magazine columnist or florist, and we will watch it.

Bring on the upcoming nuptials you know will be interrupted by the bride’s handsome, childhood best friend who realizes he’s loved her all these years. Dazzle us with a makeover montage. Turn enemies into friends and friends into lovers. Impress us with a surprisingly good soundtrack.

As unabashed fans of these cinematic masterpieces and in honor of Valentine’s Day, we’ve decided to write about a few of our favorites.

“When Harry Met Sally” — Content Editor Tori Coker and Features Editor Arianna Heyman

Tori: Meg Ryan’s hair and wardrobe in this film are the greatest romantic comedy duo to ever grace the big screen.

This film’s timeless charm resides in its unparalleled flow of dialogue, a testament to the incomparable chemistry and wicked sharp delivery on the part of Ryan and Billy Crystal.

As someone with an unwavering bias for friends-to-lovers arcs and an unshakeable desire to also be Carrie Fisher’s character’s best friend, “When Harry Met Sally” is the epitome of comfort, as much of a nostalgic 80s time capsule as it is a timeless example of the very best of romantic cinema — and Nora Ephron’s unmatched pen game.

Arianna: Of all the great rom-coms out there, nothing beats “When Harry Met Sally.”

I’ve seen it so many times I practically have the entirety of the final scene memorized “I love that you get cold when it’s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it’s not because I’m lonely, and it’s not because it’s New Year’s Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”

**SWOONS**

“10 Things I Hate About You” — Olivia Chiappelli, Arts Reporter

If I could live anywhere, I would choose the “10 Things I Hate About You” universe. Arguably the best out of any Shakespearean work turned coming-of-age comedy of the 90s — yes, that was a genre — everything about this masterpiece is perfect. From Julia Stiles’ angsty platform flip flops to Heath Ledger’s otherworldly cheeky charm to the literal coastal castle high school it was filmed at, this movie was the blueprint of my formative years. So much curly hair, so much paintball and so much love.

“13 Going on 30” — Katie Reid, Photographer

If someone asked me what my hypothetical dream life would be, I would say, “The exact plot of 2004’s ‘13 Going 30.’” Not only did Jennifer Garner get to skip the appalling years of high school and college, but she also got time-travel-dropped into an apartment with a walk-in closet and a hot NHL player in her shower. She ends up falling in love with her childhood best friend — who just casually grew up to be a hot New York photographer in the form of the stunner himself: Mark Ruffalo.

Don’t even get me started on the most devastating speech in all of cinema when Ruffalo tells Garner he has always loved her, but it’s too late. (I’m also a little delusional and yearn for this speech to be said to me so I can be heartbroken yet validated at the same time.)

“50 First Dates” — Joe Zerilli, Campus Editor

One may look at Adam Sandler and think, “oh, he is just that funny guy who makes movies with his friends,” and while that may be true, he is a master of the rom-com. He and Drew Barrymore are destined to make rom-coms together and have put out amazing movies.

“50 First Dates” is the best one, in my opinion, because of the struggle of trying to learn to love and re-love every single day. Call it a guilty pleasure, or call it one of the greatest rom-coms — either way, you’re correct. There is a little more com than rom, with that Sandler charm, but if I see it, I watch it and will be satisfied every time.

“The Holiday” — Emily Iatrou, Graphic Designer

“The Holiday” is one of those movies that I can (and do) watch over and over again, because it has the perfect blend of romantic elements and comedy. The cast is amazing and it has two stories happening at the same time, so it’s basically two rom-coms for the price of one. Also, Jack Black and Kate Winslet will forever be the power couple we never knew we needed.

“Only You”— Gabrielle Abdelmessih, Editor-in-Chief

Italy? Check. Robert Downey Jr.’s witty banter? Check. A re-enactment of the iconic “Roman Holiday” scene featuring the Mouth of Truth? Also, check.

While this is one of the lesser-known films of the rom-com genre, it deserves more recognition. If you see me in Rome this summer searching for a Damon Bradley, mind your business.

“Letters to Juliet” and “Bride Wars” — Leticia Santos, Marketing Director

The matter here is not that I’m indecisive. It’s just a fact that these two are a MUST for romcoms.

“Letter to Julliet” is a writer’s dream. Verona, Shakespeare, a love note, and a long-lost love that comes back to reality. Can you even ask for more?

And then, “Bride Wars…” *sigh* I went to New York to see the Plaza Hotel in person! Two friends, a childhood dream, two realities and everything wedding-related you can think of. I’ve watched these two movies numerous times with no guilt or shame (and I will still watch them every time I can). For sure, my favorites!

“The Proposal” — Isabella Limbert, SciTech Reporter

Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds, Betty White… say less!

I think people forget about this movie, but it takes up a good chunk of my brain just purely on the fact that Bullock and Reynolds have chemistry — like, the real stuff. Betty is in her glory, playing Reynolds’ beloved grandma who is just the right amount of weird.

“The Proposal” will do it for you if you love a good can’t-stand-each-other to can’t-stay-off-each-other. It does help that there’s just the right amount of cheese and vulnerability that makes it feel real!

Also, Bullock’s character proposes to Reynolds — love a girlboss moment <3

“Say Anything” — Payton Bucki, Campus Reporter

“Say Anything” has been my go-to cheesy rom-com since middle school. Diane and Lloyd’s love story is just so CUTE!

This movie not only makes viewers’ hearts swell, but it also communicates the importance of vulnerability and trust in a relationship. “Say Anything” should be a staple in anyone’s Valentine’s watch list — not only for the iconic boombox scene, but also the valuable lessons it teaches us.

“To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” — D’Juanna Lester, Arts Reporter 

TATBILB will always remain my favorite rom-com. The chemistry between Peter and Lara Jean will always be iconic. The fake dating trope is my favorite, so I’m biased.

“The Wedding Singer” — Autumn Okuszka, Features Reporter

As someone who’s obsessed with all things 80s, “The Wedding Singer” has to be my go-to rom-com — even though it came out in 1998. Not only is it one of Adam Sandler’s best movies, but it also features Drew Barrymore, who is his best on-screen romantic partner (sorry, Jennifer Aniston).

“The Wedding Singer” also flawlessly showcases Sandler as the triple threat he is — he’s a great actor, he’s funny and he’s a great singer. I mean, come on! “Grow Old With You” has to be one of the greatest love songs of all time.

I could never get tired of watching Robbie Hart and Julia Sullivan’s totally tubular 80’s romance, and Billy Idol’s cameo at the end doesn’t hurt either.