‘Tis the season: Things to do around campus this holiday season

As snow begins to fall over Oakland University’s campus, you will likely see one of two reactions: some students rejoicing with glee, while others groan in disappointment.

Fortunately, whether you love or hate the cold, there are a wide array of things to do around campus this winter. Here are four activities in the Rochester area to keep you in high spirits throughout the holiday season.

Rochester Big Bright Light Show

Take a stroll through Downtown Rochester after nightfall to experience the Rochester Big Bright Light Show. Over one million colorful lights cover four blocks of buildings on Main Street, providing a cheery holiday atmosphere for all passersby.

Whilst viewing the lights, you can check out a variety of restaurants, cafes and small businesses within the city. Attendees are also able to check out the Snowman Stroll, a new public art event that will bring twelve five-foot-tall fiberglass snowmen to Main Street from Nov. 28 to Jan. 4.

The Kris Kringle Market will be hosted on Main Street during the light show on Dec. 2 and 3. The open-air Christmas Market will feature local food, small businesses and handcrafted items.

The Rochester Big Bright Light Show will illuminate the sky from Nov. 21 through Jan. 15. For more information on the attraction, visit the Downtown Rochester webpage.

Rochester Area Hometown Christmas Parade

The Rochester Area Hometown Christmas Parade will celebrate the arrival of the holiday season on Dec. 4 at 2 p.m. on 4th and Main Street in Downtown Rochester. Local businesses and community organizations will be celebrated as the parade rolls through town.

After the parade, attendees may shop small businesses, enjoy free goodies and take photos with Santa. For more information about the parade, visit the Rochester Regional Chamber of Commerce website.

A Christmas Carol (MBT)

Meadow Brook Theatre’s famous holiday show “A Christmas Carol” is a captivating holiday classic for viewers of all ages. The play tells the tale of a mean-spirited miser who is visited by three spirits, each teaching him a lesson about the true meaning of Christmas.

“A Christmas Carol” is an annual tradition for Meadow Brook Theatre, returning for its 40th season this year. Those interested in attending the show may purchase tickets through Meadow Brook Theatre’s website, with performances running until Christmas Eve.

Meadow Brook Hall’s Holiday Walk

Meadow Brook Hall’s Holiday Walks feature indoor, self-guided tours of the historical Meadow Brook Mansion. The Holiday Walk has been hosted annually for over 50 years, allowing visitors to experience the beautiful mansion in full holiday decoration.

“The Holiday Walk is free to OU students with a valid school ID,” Connor Newton, the visitor service manager at Meadow Brook said. “The event will feature guided or self-guided tours of the mansion and complimentary hot cocoa.”

The Holiday Walk, which is open to the public from Nov. 25 to Dec. 23, is perfect for family holiday outings or date nights. Visit the Meadow Brook Hall website for more information regarding the event, as well as details on purchasing tickets.