OU alum Gillian Reilly is now radio star on AMP Radio

An OU alum is making waves in metro-Detroit. Radio waves, that is. 

Gillian Reilly, or simply “Gillian” to listeners of popular 98.7 Amp Radio’s “The Coop Show,”  serves as a morning host and executive producer for the station and says radio is the ideal career.

“It’s the best job ever. I get to talk about anything I want and I don’t even have to do my hair,” joked the 25 year old Royal Oak resident.

Reilly’s day starts at 3 a.m. (yes, a.m.) and her daily responsibilities range from scouring the web for media content to interviewing stars to putting on live events in the metro-Detroit area, such as the recent “Thanksgiving on the Mayflower” drive for Gleaners Food Bank.

“It’s so great to get out and meet people and be a part of the community,” she said.

The communication major got her start interning for Clear Channel Detroit on Channel 95.5 where she “learned everything” about the business and would recommend an internship experience for anyone interested in a similar career. 

“[Radio] is a roller coaster every day,” said Reilly. “Internships are the way to go since you are totally immersed in the experience.”

Working part-time at bd’s Mongolian Grill in Sterling Heights as a waitress alongside her radio internship, the Macomb native chose Oakland University to stay close to her family and because of the “cool atmosphere” the school has to offer.

“There’s so much student involvement here and it feels like a real college campus,” she said. “People actually took classes seriously.”

Reilly’s Communication Theory professor, Dr. Kellie Hay, recalled her former student’s classroom days. 

“Gillian has a spit-fire personality and she never held back sharing her thoughts in class. She made me laugh a lot,” she said. “I am thrilled that she is a successful radio host.”

Reilly says she is interested in pursuing television, but for now, is content in radio. “You have to be passionate about this job and I am,” she said. “I am definitely happy with where I am.”

You can catch Gillian Reilly on air from 6-10 a.m. each morning on channel 98.7.

Contact Staff Reporter Oona Smith at [email protected]