GrizzHunt to take place during homecoming week

Photo courtesy of Oakland University

GrizzHunt is a week-long scavenger hunt which will take place on and around Oakland University’s campus during the week of homecoming, spanning Oct. 10-17. Students will be able to compete for prizes by completing a variety of challenges as individual participants or in groups.

In order to participate in the hunt, participants must download an app called GooseChase. There are over 200 challenges for players to complete, each worth a value of points ranging from 5 to 75.

Some GrizzHunt challenges involve answering trivia questions, whereas other tasks require participants to take a photo at a certain place or after completing a certain action. For a few of the photo challenges, students must locate Student Program Board (SPB) staff members around campus.

“The OU Student Program Board has also partnered with The Oakland Post to add a special challenge to the hunt (hint: an actor from The Spongebob Movie),” SPB Treasurer Cameron Roach said. “To solve the riddle, unscramble this phrase: tolnaeb okanald nirstuvyei nlmuia, viadd selfofhahs.”

For the entire week, students will be able to complete as many challenges as possible. The top three individuals and/or groups with the most points by the end of the week will win shopping sprees at the OU Bookstore — $250 for the first place winner and $100 for second and third places.

“SPB believes the GrizzHunt scavenger hunt competition will create a sense of community and encourage OU pride on campus,” Roach said. “We have many amazing prizes to give away to the participants that earn the most points by the end of the week.”

In addition to GrizzHunt, there are several homecoming weekend events happening on OU’s campus from Oct. 13-15. Some featured events include SPB’s Silent Disco, a Carillon Concert, a National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) Icebreaker and a Black Alumni Chapter Homecoming Afterparty.

“I am very excited for GrizzHunt and the upcoming Homecoming Weekend events,” OU sophomore Evan Sadler said. “I think the festivities provide a great opportunity for students to get involved, earn freebies and have fun throughout the week.”

On Oct. 15, OU’s Homecoming and Reunion Weekend will conclude with the highly-anticipated Homecoming Festival, taking place at Elliott Tower from 4-7 p.m. Students and alumni will be able to enjoy free, live entertainment and lawn games at the festival celebration. Food trucks will also be present at the event.

During the festival, attendees are encouraged to cheer on the OU Club Football team as they compete against Michigan State University. The game, which is free to OU students, will begin at 7 p.m. at the Track Stadium Field.

“The OU vs. MSU club football game will definitely be a tough matchup,” Sadler said. “I can’t wait to see how OU performs during the game.”

SPB’s GrizzHunt scavenger hunt competition will surely add a friendly, competitive aspect to the excitement of OU’s Homecoming and Reunion Weekend. For more information about homecoming festivities, visit the homecoming webpage on the OU website.