SPB presents ‘Uncharted’ in the Habitat

Photo by Lindsey Sobkowski

Oakland University’s Student Program Board (SPB) hosted a showing of the movie “Uncharted” on Sept. 22 from 8-10 p.m. in the Habitat, located in the basement of the Oakland Center.

SPB members greeted students at the showing with information about their upcoming events and ongoing programs. Additionally, a free-to-enter raffle challenged students to guess the number of Academy Awards Tom Holland has won for the chance to win a prize.

As attendees entered the Habitat, they were offered a variety of free treats. Students were encouraged to grab candy, cupcakes and sodas to enjoy during the movie. 

The Alliance Coalition of Oakland County hosted a table at the event. The group focuses on building healthy communities through substance abuse prevention, wellness and recovery.

Representatives of the Alliance handed out goodie bags full of candy, chips and a water bottle. They also taught students about a practice called “Positive Norming,” which focuses on ensuring youth understand the behavior that is expected of them and are held accountable for their actions.

“It was really cool to learn about the good things the Alliance is doing for our community,” OU sophomore Eien VanRiper said. “I am happy to hear that they are committed to bettering OU.”

Before the movie began, SPB President Kaleigh Belz announced the winners of the raffle contest. Students chosen as winners won their choice of a range of prizes, which included Funko Pop figurines and Nalgene water bottles.

After the prizes were handed out, the movie began. “Uncharted” — an adventure/action film starring Tom Holland — proved to be a major hit amongst students.

“I really liked the movie,” VanRiper said. “It has been awhile since I have seen a newer action movie that I enjoyed.”

Overall, the SPB Movie Night event was very successful. Students enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the event, the free items given out and the opportunity to socialize with friends.

“The event was really fun,” OU junior Katie Pugh said. “I enjoyed hanging out with my friends and watching the movie.”

This fall, SPB has many exciting events planned for students — including a Halloweekends at Cedar Point trip and the OU Has Talent showcase. SPB also has their ongoing Hump Day program, in which the organization provides freebies to students every Wednesday at a different time and location.

During Thursday’s movie event, SPB Vice President Matthew Murray handed out flyers promoting SPB’s upcoming 70s-themed Silent Disco, which will be held next to Elliott Tower on Oct. 13 from 7-10 p.m. Attendees will be provided with headphones at the event and are invited to participate in a dance-off contest for the chance to win a record player.

Information for all of SPB’s events can be found on the SPB GrizzOrgs page and their Instagram account. Additionally, students can sign up to receive SPB Hump Day reminders by texting @SPBOU to 81010.