Grizzlies for Choice aims to inform and advocate

Photo courtesy of @ppgaou on Instagram

Grizzlies for Choice is a student-led organization that is a chapter of Planned Parenthood Generation Action (PPGA). The group focuses on educating students about reproductive autonomy and sexual health while advocating for change within the community.

“Our mission is to mobilize advocates, educate students and promote sexual health and safety,” Grizzlies for Choice President Magdelene Rose said. 

The organization accomplishes its goals by hosting various events throughout the semester, including consent education nights in the residence halls and sex trivia. In addition, through their affiliation with PPGA, the group can distribute free contraceptives to students.

“Planned Parenthood provides our chapter with a variety of educational materials and contraceptives,” Rose said. “I often place condoms outside my dorm room so my peers can freely take what they need.”

In addition to educational events and sexual health freebies, Grizzlies for Choice prioritizes informing students about services available to them. These resources, which are present on OU’s campus and in the local community, are accessible to students of all backgrounds.

“A lot of people don’t know that Plan B is available for $25 at the Graham Health Center,” Rose said. “The center expands birth control access for students by providing birth control pills and Plan B at a subsidized rate.”

Grizzlies for Choice is proud to partner with PPGA to promote Planned Parenthood’s values of education and advocacy on OU’s campus. Students are encouraged to utilize the resources Planned Parenthood provides.

In addition to the previously mentioned resources, Planned Parenthood provides a wealth of resources to individuals of all backgrounds. The organization even provides a web search tool that helps individuals find verified abortion clinics in their area.

“The organization also expands access to care for individuals living in poverty,” Rose said.

After Roe v. Wade was overturned this past summer, individuals worldwide experienced negative emotions regarding the decision. In response to government restrictions on abortion access, Grizzlies for Choice mobilized their members to create change.

Students in the group collected signatures for the Reproductive Freedom for All proposal, a ballot initiative focused on preserving the right to reproductive freedom for all. After receiving a record-breaking number of signatures due to efforts from Grizzlies for Choice and other reproductive rights advocacy groups across the state, the initiative will appear on Michigan’s November ballot under Proposal 22-3.

“If approved, Proposal 22-3 will add an amendment to the state of Michigan’s Constitution that protects the right to reproductive freedom,” Rose said. “I encourage everyone to vote yes on Proposal 22-3 this November.”

Proposal 22-3 is not the only success Grizzlies for Choice has seen this semester. After tabling at this fall’s GrizzFest, over 200 new members joined the organization. 

“Our club opens its membership to all students, regardless of their knowledge on the subjects of sex, abortion and reproductive rights,” Rose said. “A common misconception is that all of our members are female, but individuals of all genders are more than welcome to join.”

To get involved with Grizzlies for Choice, you can join their organization through GrizzOrgs. Additionally, members can stay connected with the group by following their Instagram page.