Keeper of the Dream scholarship awarded

The 22nd annual Keeper of the Dream scholarship awards celebration featured keynote speaker Lee Daniels, Oscar-winning producer and director of “The Butler.”

The Center for Multicultural Initiatives (CMI), oversees the Keeper of the Dream Ceremony, which recognizes students who practice diversity on our campus was held Jan. 20.

“It’s an outstanding program that evolved over the years. The students’, faculty and staff are all celebrating with us today to help remember Martin Luther King Jr.’s dreams,” Jean Ann Miller said.

“It says a lot to be honored by the university and to be recognized by the staff and students,” Denise Jones, retention coordinator for CMI said. Jones won the scholarship in 2008.

“It’s important to continue to push for equality and recognize these students for their work,” Nicole Lucio, assistant director for CMI said.

The students recognized at the 2014 ceremony :

Raya Hollis

Hollis is a health sciences major and was sponsored by Beaumont Health System. She is involved with the Pre-Medical Society at Oakland, president and co-founder of the OU Minority Association of Pre-Med Students, served as an orientation group leader, peer mentor, success coach and nightwatch employee.

Paul Marvin

Marvin double majors in biological sciences and Spanish language and literature and was sponsored by Oakland University Alumni Association. He is vice president of OU’s Global Public Health Brigades chapter, Spanish Club, the Pre-Medical Society, the Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society and Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. As a member of the Honor’s College, he helped organize events for University’s annual Hispanic Celebration Month.

Yen Tran

Tran is a biochemistry major at Oakland and was sponsored by Oakland University Credit Union. She is involved in OU’s Asian American Association and president of the China Club. She also volunteers in the Emergency Care Center at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak.

Daniel Lewis

Lewis is a health science major sponsored by Keeper of the Dream Foundation. Lewis is a peer mentor in the CMI and in the Department of Pre-College Programs, intramural basketball, the Circle of Brotherhood and God’s Arsenal youth group.

La’Asia Johnson

Johnson, pre social work major, was sponsored by L&L McIntosh Scholarship. Johnson is involved in the CMI, the Department of Pre-college Programs, the Circle of Sisterhood, a success coach, and orientation group leader, a member of Mentors in Violence Prevention, OU Social Work Club, and Association of Black Students and Alternative Spring break program.

Overcoming stereotypes

After the students’ received recognition, keynote speaker, Lee Daniels took the stage.

He shared with the Oakland community his journey. Although he has created several successful films, he shared the real struggles of rejections in the industry. He explained how hard it was for him to not get a stereotyped directing role. His determination lead him to success.