New app allows students to track the Bear Bus

Grizzlies can download a new mobile application to pinpoint locations of vans and shuttles

The mobile application TransLoc Transit Visualization allows students to track down Bear Bus locations.

“Normally students have to go to a spot and hope the Bear Bus will be there,” Owen O’Connor, Bear Bus driver, said. “With the new application they can track us and see how close we are instead of having to call and ask us.”

TransLoc Device

TransLoc is available for all devices. There are several ways to use the TransLoc device. It can be downloaded as an application on smart phones, accessed on mobile web or arrival time can be sent through a text message. Step-by-step instructions are provided on the Bear Bus website.

Through the TransLoc device students can also view the full route of specific busses or shuttles.

“I think it’ll be really good because it allows our riders to know exactly where our buses are, so they don’t have to wait around,” Abu Young, bear bus coordinator, said. “We can also send out messages through the app to let them know if a bus is down for the day.”

The Bear Bus has expanded in several ways to become more accessible to students. Since creation in 2009 Bear Bus has added six shuttles and has a ridership of 24,000 rides per year.

“We’ve added shelters for the three stops and new buses were added and we’re trying to get the word out more for students to utilize it,” said Ashley Monticciolo, student services director for Student Congress.

Serving the OU community

Currently the program has 35 drivers plus three supervisors. They hope to have 40 drivers at full capacity.

“We want to focus on servicing the OU community and meeting needs of students to the best of our ability,” Young said.

Another advantage the Bear Bus allows van rentals. Academic Departments, Student Affair Departments and Oakland Student Organizations can rent a Bear Bus for ten dollars an hour. The renter must have the bus for a minimum of an hour and only trained Bear Bus drivers can operate the vans.

On Monday through Thursday, the on-campus routes run from 7 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. and Friday from 6 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. A full schedule of the routes are posted on its website.

For more information on the Bear Bus contact Young, visit their Facebook and twitter page or follow their Instagram, @oubearbus.