On-campus residents can enjoy a day of fun with Grizzlies in the Galaxy

Photo courtesy of RLA on Grizzorgs

On April 9, the Residence Life Association presents Grizzlies in the Galaxy.

Join the Residence Life Association (RLA) for Grizzlies in the Galaxy on Saturday, April 9. This day is a celebration for Oakland University on-campus residents and their siblings, and will feature several festivities.

The lineup includes:

• Space Sweets and Treats — 9 to 10 a.m., Hamlin Circle
  • Out of this World caricatures and tarot readings — 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Oak View Hall
  • Galactic face painting and lawn games — 12 p.m. to 2 p.m., Oak View front lawn and Hamlin Circle
  • Celestial Crafting — 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., Van Wagoner main lounge
  • “Wall-E” movie night — 7 to 9 p.m., Oak View front lawn
    • First 100 students receive a free blanket.

“Grizzlies in the Galaxy [will] be a spectacular celebration of (OU) students and their siblings,” Programming Coordinator for RLA Ashley Waldecker said. “Residents on campus will be able to participate in a day filled with out-of-this-world activities. Each event during the day will allow students to have a memorable experience while taking home a component for their sibling to enjoy.”

Grizzlies in the Galaxy provides some fun theming as well, a twist on the annual siblings’ weekend.

“This event is a twist on our annual siblings’ weekend that has taken place for multiple years,” Waldecker said. “Considering COVID-19 and concerns for large gatherings of people, we are hoping this event provides a safe and fun way for students to enjoy the day and share that fun with their siblings. We strive to provide great opportunities for students to interact with our (OU) community and have wonderful experiences, and we want to ensure everyone is safe while doing so.”

Waldercker mentioned the event provides students an opportunity to celebrate their hard work and promotes school pride. Even siblings of OU on-campus residents will receive prizes.

“I think students can gain fun and memorable experiences by attending this event,” Waldecker said. “It will provide a way for students to relax and enjoy their Saturday while building a sense of community with fellow OU students. Additionally, this event allows students to appreciate their siblings and provide them with some treats.”

RLA enjoys seeing students engaged in the residential community spreading pride with other students and their siblings. In addition, they enjoy watching students build memories and add to their college experience.

“RLA gets the joy of seeing students engage in the residential community and spread OU pride to their fellow students and siblings,” Waldecker said. “We enjoy watching students having a great time and building memories that strengthen their college experience.”