Career Services presents Spring Career Celebration on April 6

Photo courtesy of Career Services

The Spring Career Celebration is intended to provide a comfortable environment for students to network.

On Wednesday, April 6, Career Services is presenting the Spring Career Celebration from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Habitat and the first-level of The Oakland Center (OC). Around 20 companies will be attending, and students can seek opportunities such as full-time positions, part-time positions and internships.

Companies attending include: BorgWarner, Rocket Companies, Plante Moran, United Wholesale Mortgage, General Motors, Brose and more.

Professional dress is not required. Free food, ice cream and a post-it note wall where students can share their successes and goals will all be available.

Career Consultant Emily Cutlip states the goal is to connect students with employers. It is a come as you are event with low stakes, as a more laid back way to talk to employers.

“What’s cool about this event is that students can come as they are,” Cutlip said. “They don’t need to have completed resumes, [don’t] need to have an elevator pitch ready and don’t necessarily [need to dress professionally]. It’s a come as you are event. It’s low stakes, low pressure and more of a laid-back way to engage with employers.”

Marketing and Events Coordinator at Career Services, Sarah Swarz, says this event allows for in-person interaction with potential employers.

“Since we are coming back from that virtual world, we know students haven’t had as much face time with these employers,” Swarz said. “So, we really want them to come on campus and help us celebrate the end of the semester. But then of course, there are so many jobs that are hiring right now — [companies] want students to come and talk about their open opportunities.”

Swarz mentioned even if students don’t think they’re ready for the opportunities offered, Career Services still encourages them to attend. Employers want to establish relationships and tell students about their companies.

“Even if a student isn’t ready to have an internship or job yet — especially if they’re a freshman or sophomore and they’re not there yet — we still want them to come,” Swarz said. “These employers want to establish [a] relationship. [It’s] not as scary of a process as some may think.”

Cutlip pointed out how this event is intended to be less stressful and overwhelming than a traditional career fair, as well. It’s focused more on relationship building and networking.

Career Services wants students to feel empowered walking away from the event, and show students they can achieve their dreams. Networking doesn’t have to be daunting.

“I hope students walk away from this event with a new perspective on networking,” Cutlip said. “I think there is a misconception that networking is this stuffy, rigid thing. Networking and building relationships with employers and industry professionals is not like that, and doesn’t have to be like that. Networking can happen in these informal, more relaxed environments, and still be incredibly impactful and effective.”

Cutlip also hopes students feel more confident within networking with employers, and know they always have the support of Career Services.

“I hope students walk away from this event, feeling more confident in their abilities to network and interface with employers,” Cutlip said. “Students [should know] they always have the support of Career Services, and I hope that students are driven to our office to do follow-up and seek assistance for things we can help them with post-event.”

Students can register for Career Spring Celebration on Handshake.