Meadow Brook Hall Student Outreach Organization holds Movie Date Night

The Meadow Brook Hall Student Outreach Organization held its first Movie Date Night on Sunday, Feb. 2 at the Meadow Brook Hall.

The movie “Groundhog Day” was displayed in the ballroom of the hall, starting at 7:30 p.m. The event was limited to 60 students.

Free pretzels, cotton candy and other snacks were provided by members of the organization.

Movie Date Night was just a beginning step to bringing more students to the Hall, according to Caroline Shaltz, vice president of the MBH Student Outreach Organization.

Groundhog Day

Sunday was actually Groundhog Day, during which Punxsutawney Phil the groundhog saw his shadow, predicting six more weeks of winter.

“I don’t like winter at all,” said Shaltz. “It was a sad day… but Phil is cute.”

The fact that it was Groundhog Day led Shaltz and the other officers to choose the 1993 comedy “Groundhog Day” as their movie of choice, according to Shaltz.

“We actually did not know it was Super Bowl Sunday,” said Shaltz. “Because, you know, we’re all history majors, math majors – that just didn’t cross our mind.”

In the future the MBH Student Outreach Organization will try to have more movie nights, according to Shaltz.

“We have our projection room and stuff that Matilda even used to we’re all ready to throw one of these together in a short amount of time,” said Shaltz. “So that’s probably going to be something that we’ll do again in the future.”

Reaching out to students

The MBH Student Outreach Organization was created last semester in the hopes of acquainting students with the Hall, according to Shaltz.

“We thought it was just a shame that not a lot of them (Oakland students) knew this was here or they didn’t know it was accessible to them,” said Shaltz. “We wanted to kind of promote that and have some fun events.”

Shaltz is one of the four officers of the organization. Each member also works for the Meadow Brook Hall.

“It’s definitely the right place for us,” said Shaltz, who said three of the officers are history majors.

Danny Santos, a junior cinema studies major, attended Movie Date Night with a friend. He said he had never seen the movie “Groundhog Day” before.

He has been in Meadow Brook, however.

“This is my fourth time in this building,” said Santos. “I think it’s gorgeous here. I definitely feel like there’s a lot of good spiritual energy.”

Shaltz said there will be many other events in the future as well and that new ideas and suggestions are welcome.

“We are definitely having more events that are going to be a little bit more accessible to bringing people that aren’t Oakland students,” said Shaltz.

Students can come to the Hall at any time, said Shaltz.

“The Hall always takes volunteers,” said Shaltz. “Tours are always free and you’re always welcome here.”

Learn more about the MBH Student Outreach at facebook.com/mbhstudentoutreach.