Greek Council and LVC organize Day of Service

Photo+courtesy+of+Greek+Council+and+Leadership+Volunteer+Center+

Photo courtesy of Greek Council and Leadership Volunteer Center

Volunteer at Greek Council and the Leadership and Volunteer Center (LVC’s) Day of Service event on Wednesday, Mar 30 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m in the Habitat. Event tables will be set up with a different service project at each.

Some of the service projects include: coloring bookmarks for the Pontiac Public Library, making air balloons and spring baskets for the Randall Residence for senior citizens, making dog toys out of t-shirts for local animal shelters and creating get well cards for a child in need.

“It’ll be a very great pop-in, pop-out aspect where you can stay in connect and communicate, talk and chat, which is not a lot you get when you’re halfway virtual halfway in person,” Greek Week Chair of Greek Council Keyara Pepper-Cameron said.

President of Greek Council Bailee Gierman mentioned this event brings the Oakland University community together while doing something for the greater good. She also highlighted giving back to the community and OU’s campus.

“I think, first and foremost, it’s bringing togetherness,” Gierman said. “It is a public event. It’s not just exclusive to the Greek community. We are having children, and the administration will be coming out. It is just getting together and socializing, as well as doing something for the greater good. Greek life is kind of not everybody’s favorite — but I feel that by doing this, we can show we’re more than what people think we are: we’re established. We’re giving back to the community, and we’re giving back to the Oakland campus as well.”

Keyara Pepper-Cameron states that this event will let the community know what the Greek community brings to campus. It is also another event following spring break for students to participate in, since she mentioned most events take place earlier in the year, so it’s a nice change.

Additionally, Gierman emphasized that OU students give back to the community quite a bit. This event will show new OU students they can come out, meet people and have a great time.

“Oakland students give back to the community a lot,” Gierman said. “I think bringing that to the eyes of newer students within the university is helpful. We do have other events. It’s like a whole week long, so they can come out to meet with us, we can meet with them and just have a great time. We want to create memories as well as give back to the community.”

According to the Greek Council GrizzOrgs page, “Greek Council looks to branch communication between each Greek organization here at Oakland University, as well as represent Greek Life among the University. Ultimately, the Greek Council looks to display Greek Life as striving for excellence in scholarship, sisterhood/brotherhood, philanthropy, social, leadership, and campus involvement.”

For more information, check out Greek Council and LVC on GrizzOrgs.