The Office of the Registrar shares information for upcoming registration cycle

Full-year registration (Summer 2022, Fall 2022 and Winter 2023) by class-standing begins on March 21 for graduate students, veteran students and honors college students, then continues each day for the eligible student levels.

According to the OU registrar website, registration is staggered by class standing and earned credit hours – a combination of total degree credit hours earned, excluding current semester credits. Students can check their earned credit hours in MySAIL. Students who are interested in taking online courses can refer to the online meeting overview to gain a better understanding of the location and system of their desired courses.

One of the biggest supporters during the process of registration is the Office of the Registrar. They work collaboratively with departments to create the schedule of classes, maintain the academic record and provide copies of official transcripts.

Additionally, they evaluate transfer credits and AP/IB test scores, verify student enrollment, program Degree Works, audit all undergraduate students for graduation, award degrees, order diplomas and calculate honors. They also have a lot of other responsibilities outside of our direct support to students.

“The Office of the Registrar is the keeper of the Academic Record,” Tricia Westergaard, the registrar of the Office of the Registrar, said. “We work with all students from prospective to alumni. We also work with many departments on campus. I like to think of us as the intersection where student service meets academic programming. We have a unique viewpoint and often consult with faculty and staff on a variety of topics.”

Registrar Services supports students with troubleshooting the technology of registration in SAIL. They also offer walk-through guidance for all students in how to register, and troubleshoot support in any errors or questions.

“Most often, we are providing coordinated care between the student, advising and the academic units to ensure the curriculum intentions are in the system,” Westergaard said. “Additionally, and most students probably are not aware, we collaborate with the academic units in the creation of classes in the system, data auditing and general classroom assignments.”

Due to the pandemic, Oakland University has offered many online classes as well as the hybrid system for necessary courses to prevent further spread of COVID-19. According to Westergaard, OU will continue to offer a broad range of options for courses in the upcoming school year, and that the Office of the Registrar is currently in the process of working with the academic departments at OU to finalize the schedule of classes for Fall 2022 and Winter 2023.

“The summer 2022 schedule is already available online, and we anticipate that the fall 2022 and winter 2023 schedules should be viewable in early March,” she said. “We will offer a variety of course modalities to meet the needs of students, with a combination of in-person, hybrid and online classes.”

Lastly, Westergaard shared a piece of advice for students for the upcoming registration cycle.

“The best advice that I can offer students is to plan for registration in advance,” she said. “If you have not seen your adviser recently, schedule an appointment so that you can review your course options to stay on track for graduation. Register for classes as soon as possible on the day you are eligible to register. This will allow you to have the best class selections possible. Finally, use your resources. If you need help, reach out to your adviser or the Registrar staff any time you are not sure what to do. We are here to help you.

More information on web registration and class standing can be found on the web page. For support for the registration process, visit the Office of Registrar in-person in the North Foundation Hall, Room 160 or email [email protected].