Seniors reflect on rugby club

Coming off a successful season, seniors Frank DeLong and Ted Tansley of the Oakland Rugby club speak on the year’s success, what it means to be part of the team, and how students can get involved.

Playing nearly year-round, the Oakland Rugby team learns firsthand what it means to work together and win and lose as a team.

In the last year the team reached new success. With a record of 4-2, the team tied for second in its division with Saginaw Valley, trailing only Grand Valley State for first.

Building off its early success this spring, OU has been holding up well to high-ranking schools like Central Michigan University (5-0 loss) and University of Michigan (45-42 loss). It has also played well against teams in its own division like Hillsdale (88-15 win).

For DeLong and Tansley, being a part of this team has meant more than just wins and losses.

What, as an athlete, do you guys get out of being a part of this team?

Tansley: Being part of this team has brought so many memories that I plan on holding onto for my entire life. It has given me so many opportunities to grow myself not only just as a student, but as a leader.

DeLong: Being a part of this team has always meant the world to me. I have never been closer to a group of guys in my life and it’s a great feeling knowing I have a supporting cast on and off the field.

What stands out for you as a memorable event, team-wise or for you individually?

Tansley: Scoring two tries in the fall (one against Hillsdale, and the other against our alumni. A good amount play semi-pro rugby. The team also won two awards at the Student Leadership Ceremony this spring [Hunter Michaels won for best male athlete while the entire team was honored with the We Bleed Gold Spirit Award].

DeLong: The best memory I have with the team this year is when we were able to help organize a lunch with Santa in December. It was a heartwarming feeling to see us all come together on the holidays and help put smiles on the faces of all the families.

What other teams do you play during the season?

DeLong: We play nearly every university that has a rugby team in the state of Michigan.

As an athlete, what do you guys get out of being a part of this team and why should others be interested in joining?

Tansley: As an athlete, you get to experience playing college ball and going up against big time Division 1 schools like Central and U of M. You also get to play when you want to. It is a sport that you can play even out of college and around the world. They have many local men’s teams all over the state and the world.

What types of players are you looking to recruit for the upcoming season?

Tansley: We want as many people possible to come play rugby with us. The greatest thing I can say about rugby is that there is a position on the field for every body type. Tall, short, fat, slim, muscular, not so much, and every combination out there, we have a spot for you. As a student, you get to be a part of an organization that can help you find real opportunities if you get involved with the group. We are very accepting of players.

How can people get more info about the club and become involved?

Tansley: People who want to support can find out about our games and events through Facebook at www.facebook.com/rugbyatou . We are also on Twitter @RugbyatOU. If you want to support, we highly recommend learning some aspect of the sport so that when you go to watch it you are not bewildered.

Contact Staff Reporter David Cesefske at [email protected].