Network of enlightened Women empowers students on campus

Photo courtesy of NeW on Instagram

NeW members at the most recent event on Dec. 2. The group met for dinner, built gingerbread houses and filled out holiday cards for children in the hospital.

There is a “NeW” club at Oakland University for students who are searching for a community of hardworking and independent-minded conservative women. The Network of enlightened Women (NeW) has a definitive goal — to educate, equip and empower its members. 

NeW meets twice a month on Thursday and Friday evenings and is free for anyone to attend. The student organization is a safe space for participants to learn, debate and grow as individuals. 

“This club empowers women through hosting open policy discussions where women can explore facts and form their opinion on societal issues,” President Erika Head said. 

The group discussions are one of the focal points of joining NeW. Every month a new topic is introduced for club members to debate on. Typically, debate topics address academics or policy, and for each discussion articles are provided to participants to assist them in opinion development. 

“Women will walk away with more knowledge on educational topics,” Head says. “Women will feel equipped to step into their role in society, and women will be empowered with knowledge as they are surrounded by like-minded friends who all want each other to succeed.” 

Support and friendship are especially important to the both NeW e-board and the group members alike.

“It’s an amazing group full of friendly, like-minded people that make you feel like you’ve always been a part of the group,” member Heidi Beaton says. 

Other NeW benefits include resume workshops, interview prep and job search tips to assist women entering the workforce. This club also functions as a way for members to make professional connections and can be a helpful addition to a resume. 

These connections allow for confidence-building, networking and the assemblage of a community where participants are supported by each other in all aspects of life. 

Members also participate in team-building events. At the most recent club event, members met for dinner, built gingerbread houses and filled out holiday cards for children in the hospital. Other events have included an ice cream study session and cider mill social.

Each event allows for members to connect with each other and walk away with the knowledge that they have expanded their circle on campus. Exciting activities are already in the pipeline for the winter semester as well.

“Next semester NeW will be hosting a variety of exciting events,” Head says. “We will be hosting professional development sessions with resume workshops and mock interviews, [as well as] a book club, Galentine’s day party and a speaker event.” 

While the group identifies as conservative, NeW is a judgement free zone where all are welcome. 

“The benefits of joining the Network of enlightened Women are creating lifelong friendships and connections with members, as well as attending unique team building events,” Head says. 

By joining NeW, members will walk away with lifelong connections, more awareness about societal issues and skills that will assist them in life after graduation. 

Those interested in the Network of enlightened Women can find them on Instagram @newatoaklanduniversity or can learn more via Campus Labs.