Men’s basketball fends off Lake Superior State for exhibition win

Freshman+guard+Osei+Price+had+11+points+in+28+minutes+Friday+night.+

Jose Juarez, Oakland University Athletics

Freshman guard Osei Price had 11 points in 28 minutes Friday night.

Oakland University men’s basketball survived Lake Superior State University after the Lakers mounted a late comeback to win 91-81 in the final game of exhibition play at home in the O’rena on Friday.

Led by 20 points apiece from freshman forward Trey Townsend and Graduate Student forward Jamal Cain, who also had a double double with 11 rebounds, the Golden Grizzlies used their aggressive offensive strategy as they jumped to an early lead and pushed past the Lake Superior Lakers, who proved to be a feisty opponent.

Opening the first half, Lake Superior jumped to an early lead, hitting a pair of threes and leading 10-5, before Oakland went on a roll, changing leads back and forth before tying the score at 26 with 7:59 left. With time left in the 1st half, Oakland made four three-pointers as a part of a 32-6  run to close the first half up 58-32.

In the second half, Oakland shot their way into a 32-point lead before Lake Superior went on a run. Oakland rested its starters for the final 11 minutes as the game was out of reach. Oakland allowed 11 three pointers of 12 in the second half to allow the Lakers to come back within 10 with 2:08 remaining. Oakland slowed down the game for the time remaining to seal the Oakland win 91-81.

Credit should be given to the Division II Lake Superior team for scoring 49 in the second half, led by guard Malek Adam’s 23 and 8 assists. As a team, the Lakers shot 58% in the second half, including going 12/17 from three point range.

Oakland survived the late game rally despite going 1-10 from three in the second half due to their aggressive play, going to the free throw line 29 times in total and making 21. Oakland also capitalized on their size by out-scoring Lake Superior in the paint 48-28. 

Though Oakland struggled in efficiency, they were able to win the battle on rebounds both offensive and defensive 45-29, resulting in a massive advantage on second chance points, with the Golden Grizzlies out-scoring the Lakers 23-5, including holding them scoreless on offensive boards in the second half.

With the final exhibition game in the books, Oakland turns its attention to the regular season, where they open up the season on the road against West Virginia University on Tuesday, Nov. 9th. Oakland University stays on the road for the following game before its home opener versus the University of Toledo on Nov. 17. 

After going 12-18 in the 2020-2021 regular season, Oakland looks to win it’s first Horizon League regular season title since 2017 and make its first appearance in the NCAA tournament since 2011. With a high powered offense and an aggressive approach to opponents, the Golden Grizzlies are ready to show their claws.