Parents achieve peace of mind at orientation

“Some students are finding college life more interesting, while others miss pieces of their life before college.”

It starts off simple. One day parents are watching the big yellow bus pull up to take their children to the first step of the education journey, and the next day watching them throw their caps in the air. Once that liberating and difficult journey is done, the next step is college; although, before college can begin, a small meeting called orientation takes place.

Oakland University Freshmen Orientation is an eight-hour information packed session that requires full attention of the students, and also a keen memory of where everything is. For the parents however, it is a little different than tours and schedule planning.

For parents at OU, orientation is a relaxed environment where they learn about the college their kids will soon attend.

“I like the fact that the campus is smaller, and it is in a nice area. The classes are small which allows more teacher interaction,” freshman parent Lori Irwin said. Also, I feel like I got a good education when I went there and I loved it.”

The orientation gives parents tips and advice to help their student be more successful and transition well in college.

“Don’t do simple things for them like the laundry, for example. Let them problem solve through the issue first, but always be on standby,” orientation leader Henna Ata said. “And also, just keep an open communication with your student so if or when a problem occurs, they can come straight to you.

Ultimately though, orientation is about the student.

“I think connecting with my students and knowing that I made an impact, even a little impact, goes a long way,” Ata said.

It’s also up to the orientation leaders to make orientation a memorable experience for newcomers. 

Every meeting, the orientation leaders must prepare for their journey with the freshmen. Although the job is not easy, leaders still find enjoyment helping others.

“I love meeting new people and helping new students get accustomed to the university,” Ata said. “It’s always exciting getting a new group each orientation day.”