Sexual assault reported on campus

On Friday, Oct. 8, the campus community was sent a timely notice about an attempted sexual assault that was reported to the Oakland University Police Department (OUPD) earlier that day, and took place on campus back in May.

The newsletter also states, “An investigation into the incident has revealed that the suspect matches the description of a person reported to have been involved in a separate assault that occurred in October of 2019. In the earlier incident, also reported to have taken place on campus, the suspect was described as an acquaintance of the individual filing the report.”

The suspect is described as a white male, approximately 20 years old. He stands approximately 5 feet, 11 inches tall and weighs approximately 180 pounds. He has brown eyes and brown hair.

Regarding consent, “the absence of no is not yes,” OUPD’s Police Chief Mark Gordon emphasized.

Resources on education surrounding consent, what constitutes as sexual assault, and how it can be prevented can be found through OUPD, Dean of Student’s office, as well as the Office for Student Involvement.

“Education and arming people in advance of being in that type of situation is first and foremost,” Chief Gordon said.

Chief Gordon also attributed the safe campus environment of OU to the culture of safety and reporting that is on campus.

“We work very hard, not just us, the police department, but we, in the culture of Oakland University work very hard for reporting, and for getting involved in safety issues because we know that it takes an entire community, to keep our university safe.” Chief Gordon said.