Homecoming and reunion weekend coming Oct. 8-9: here’s the lineup

Photo courtesy of meadowbrookhall.org

Students, faculty and alumni can “Tour the Great Estate” during OU’s annual Homecoming and Reunion Weekend.

From tailgating and volleyball to happy hour and a movie — homecoming and reunion weekend brings something for everyone. The annual festivities are split into two realms: some events geared at students, and others alumni.

The virtual OU Trivia Night is slated as an alumni event on Oct. 6 at 7 p.m. — geared at celebrating Kresge Library’s 60th anniversary. OU prizes will be up for grabs at the event, hosted by Dean of OU Libraries Polly Boruff-Jones and archivist Dominique Daniel. 

Student-geared festivities kick off Oct. 7 with Thursday Night Mainstage featuring Mentalist Duo, The Evasons at 7 p.m. in The Habitat. The following evening at 6:30 p.m., “In the Heights”  is playing at the same venue as part of La Hora Feliz Y Noche De Cine (Happy Hour and Movie Night)

On Oct. 8 and 9 are self-guided tours at Meadow Brook Hall: Tour the Great Estate. From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. (last admittance at 3 p.m.), students, alumni and faculty can see all the historic estate has to offer. And bonus for students — they get in free.

For alumni, the 2021 Golden Celebration Reunion is scheduled for Oct. 8 and 9 in the outdoor tent behind Kresge Library. The reunion welcomes alumni from the classes of 1963 through 1971, where they’re invited to reconnect, share memories and take part in a plethora of event programming.

Student film enthusiasts can start gearing up for the 2021 24 Hour Film Challenge on Oct. 9 and 10. The showcase and awards ceremony is slated for 4 p.m. on Oct. 10.

And to all the sports lovers out there, don’t worry, OU hasn’t forgotten about you. A great deal of excellent sporting events line the weekend — including volleyball, soccer and club football.

On Oct. 8, Women’s volleyball is taking on University of Illinois-Chicago at home at 6 p.m. As of Oct. 6, the team is 9-6 overall and 3-1 in their conference.

Men’s soccer takes on Cleveland State on Oct. 9 at 2 p.m. at home, and club football plays at 5 p.m. Both games sandwich in the Oakland University Student Congress (OUSC) tailgate party — taking place from 3:30-5:30 p.m. at the tent behind Kresge Library. 

Senior Director for the Office of Student Involvement (OSI), Jean Ann Miller, mentioned she’s excited for the spirited atmosphere homecoming weekend brings.

“We love OU and all [these activities] are a way to show it — that [students] are happy they’re going to school here,” Miller said.

Miller hopes students will consider hanging around for the weekend to partake in the festitivies.

“We want to [try and] make sure students stay on campus and come to these events,” Miller said. “Social activities do take place on the weekends, not just the weekdays, for students to participate in. They can bring their families back — especially if they’re alumni, it’s all the better.”

For the full rundown of homecoming and reunion weekend events and programming, visit https://oakland.edu/homecoming/.