OSI hosted a “super” All Night Party

Ayman Ishimwe

Students mingling during Friday’s All Night Party. The OSI-hosted event featured movie screenings, games and lots of food.

Students at Oakland University wanting to have a “super” time had the opportunity to attend the All Night Party last weekend. With the theme being superheroes, the All Night Party went from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 24. 

“You know, in addition to their classroom life, they also want to have their own new experiences. This all night party was to be a representation of what we have to offer on campus socially,” Jean Ann Miller, the Senior Director of the Office of Student Involvement, said. “And just being able to have fun on campus and meet new friends and see old friends and things like that.”

The Office of Student Involvement teamed up with the SAFAC organization and Division of Student Affairs and Diversity to present the first ever All Night Party at OU. 

The All Night Party had events for everyone to take part in. There were things to do such as laser tag, wire art, caricature artist, selfie photo booth and bracelet making. There were also games for people to play like Connect Four, Jenga and cornholem, the giant versions of these games.

There were many things to do through the night if playing games or making crafts weren’t holding the students’ interest. Two movies were shown, “Guardians of the Galaxy” and “Black Panther.” There was also a DJ that played music all night.

As the night wrapped up there was a nationally known hypnotist. OSI made sure all students in attendance were well fed and well entertained all night.

The event invited all students but was focused on drawing in first year, second year and transfer students. The All Night Party was meant to feel like life getting back to normal on campus.

“We want the students to have their true Oakland University experience,” Miller said. “That’s why they’re going to OU, so hopefully they’re getting it and they’re appreciating it.”

The volunteers and some of the students that attended fitted into the theme of superheroes and wore capes and masks. About 500 students attended the event.

“We just want the students to be engaged on campus and know that this is available to them,” Miller said. “And they should feel healthy and safe for coming here and participating.”

OSI received a lot of positive feedback on the event and hope to do something like this again in the future. But the organization will be holding many more events this year like their traditional Casino Night.

To enjoy more on campus events soon, students are invited to attend a Thursday night mainstage event on Oct. 7 in the Habitat at 7 p.m. There will also be a happy hour and movie night watching “In the Heights” on Friday, Oct. 8 in the Habitat at 6:30 p.m. Last event leading up to homecoming will be the OUSC tailgate party on Oct. 9 from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at a tent behind Kresge Library.

“That’s what college life is about. is not just going to classes, but being involved on campus,” Miller said. “That’s what this things that we’re trying to do are known to our students and hopefully that they’re coming out and trying it and feeling comfortable and being back on campus again in person.”