LinkedIn not connecting on campus?

With more than 300 million users in over 200 countries, the job networking website LinkedIn has been called an invaluable tool by business websites such as Forbes. However, a recent poll at Oakland University suggested that it is underutilized by most students.

Of the students surveyed, only 28 percent even had a LinkedIn account, and only a fraction of those that did are even active on the site.

LinkedIn’s mission statement is to “connect the world’s professionals to make them more productive and successful.” They encourage users to form connections with other users, making it easier to get a foot into the professional world.

OU junior business major Frank Cassani called it “Facebook for the job market.”

Although LinkedIn’s usage was low in the survey, it seems that many are aware of it but see no reason to join the site.

“It’s not something I feel I need now, but down the road I definitely could,” said Kyle Medley, a pre-med major.

Medley’s opinions were shared by many students. But there were still some who saw the benefits the site has to offer.

“It’s a good way to connect with businesses and have businesses find you,” senior business major Michelle Alosachie said.

According to the business blog Undercover Recruiter, a few key aspects of LinkedIn make it ideal for college students. LinkedIn provides users with job email alerts, allowing them to connect with professionals and students and providing a platform to post job recommendations.

It is a globally-used site, which allows people to access international jobs. It also helps businesses look for potential employees.

“When I worked at UHI, they recommended I had (a LinkedIn account) so that after my internship they could keep up with me,” senior Samantha Sijanovski said.

Michael Mazzeo, Oakland University’s dean of the School of Business, said he would recommend it to his students.

“It’s not just quality of resume or experience, it’s who you know,” Mazzeo said.

Mazzeo endorsed the site regarding its effect on networking.

“It’s extraordinarily good,” he said. “LinkedIn is fundamentally responsible for that.”

For those who are waiting to set up their account when they feel they need it, Mazzeo respected their choice. But, he did encourage its usage nonetheless.

“It’s better sooner than later,” he said.