Organizations ask for help in aiding the homeless

People who are homeless can be found in all areas including those near Oakland University, and knowing how to help and react when crossing their path can be beneficial.

With the possibility of people living on the streets in the area, and OU having such a large population, it’s not uncommon for a student to come across a homeless person.

“We have come across several individuals who were homeless in Rochester,” Mellena Martinez, community programs manager at Community Housing Network and Projects Assistance for Transition from Homelessness (PATH) team member, said.

Organizations like the PATH program were created to assist the homeless. Today, there are over 480 local organizations that receive PATH funds.

The local PATH team is located in Oakland County and works with Community Housing Network (CHN). They spend every Monday through Friday venturing out into the community in search of people who don’t have a home. The team members are equipped with water, bus tickets, blankets, socks and hygiene products.

“We go out in the community early,” said Martinez. “Individuals usually leave their street homes in the morning to panhandle, find work or get to drop-in centers, so the earlier the better.”

Those who are not part of these programs can help as well. Members of these teams provide helpful tips for those who are not trained to deal with people who are homeless.

Assistive team members are trained to deal with individuals experiencing homelessness. However, if a student comes across one of these people, they are not recommended to approach them if they are sleeping under a bridge, in a park or behind a building. This is the person’s “street home,” and for safety reasons one should not approach them.

Coming in contact with these individuals can be an uncomfortable situation if one is not sure how to react.

“I once came across a person who was homeless in the area,” Chantel Lohmann, a student at Oakland University, said. “They approached me asking for money and I wasn’t sure if I should give in or keep walking.”

Martinez explains that some panhandlers on the streets may not even be homeless. Sometimes they are just in need of money. However, this is not always the case.

“Giving individuals who are experiencing homelessness that are panhandling a few dollars is only a Band-Aid,” Martinez said.

Getting these people further help has a better chance of getting them off the streets completely. If and when someone comes across a person who is homeless, it is beneficial to call CHN.

By giving these individuals access to resources and service agencies, it can help them significantly. PATH team members also encourage students to donate items such as socks, blankets, water and easy-to-eat foods, such as peanut butter and chewy granola bars.

For more information about PATH, visit their website at pathprogram.samhsa.gov. For more on the Community Housing Network, go to www.communityhousingnetwork.org.