CSA kicks off OU Leadership ExplOUration

This past Tuesday, the Center for Student Activities & Leadership Development kicked off a monthly eight-event series called OU Leadership ExplOUration.

The series touches on topics such as service learning, workplace and social bias to name a few.  

This is the second year of the series. The series started off this year with a presentation called “LinkedIn Leadership,” just in time to gear students up for the upcoming career fairs scheduled for Sept. 23 and Sept. 30.

Robin Pierman, owner of Social Engagementz LLC, gave helpful tips to students on how to beef up their professional social media presence:

• Start using it. LinkedIn is not just your parent’s social media, and will probably help you land a job one day soon.
  • Upload a good, professional picture. Without one, you may come across as lazy and inept with technology.
  • No selfies, professional headshot and no group photos.
  • Complete your contact info and add links to any websites or blogs that you run to increase exposure.
  • Customize your URL, the same way that is also possible to do on Facebook.
  • Be sure to include all the volunteer, service and non-academic activities to showcase your true personality and depth of character.
  • Make sure to upload your award winning documents such as reports, design pieces or stories covering your achievements.

Pierman also discussed an innovative new feature for students called students.linkedin.com. This recently added feature is specifically for students looking to get internships or entry-level jobs in field or geographic regions that may have been out of reach to most Oakland students before.

“New tools like this make having your profile updated and accessible more important than ever,” Pierman said. “Employers out there are looking to find and hire you.”

Moustapha Diab, attended the event and was pleased with the experience.

“It was very informative,” Diab said. “This was my third presentation on LinkedIn and I learned a lot. There were many new features of LinkedIn that I uncovered.

“I will definitely keep updating my profile until it is 100 percent complete. The students.linked.com is an exciting feature. It will help me a lot as I look to get employed and display the leadership skills I have developed on campus.”

As an extra incentive for the program, the CSA will award the student organization that attends the most events $100 at the end of the school year. Individual participants who attend six out of eight receive a Leadership Certificate at the CSA Awards Banquet on April 6.

The next presentation on “LinkedIn Leadership” will be held on Oct. 25, in the Rec Center classroom. For more information on the Leadership ExplOUration series, visit www.Oakland.edu/lead or email Emily Delano at [email protected].