Young and hungry: Grasping for grub on the go proves challenging for OU students

It’s the second week of the semester and we’re feeling it.

We’re busy and, for many of us, nutrition takes a backseat ride as we cruise through our first few weeks on campus.

Whether you’re a freshman or a senior, resident or commuter, it’s no secret: eating smart on the go and away from home can be a real challenge.

“College is a place where you’re often set up for food failure,” said health coach Chelsea Hunter, in an interview with Teen Vogue.

And with OU’s buffet-style Vandenberg dining hall, forever-favorite Subway and Starbucks Coffee on campus, it’s not hard to see where Hunter is coming from.

So how are Golden Grizzlies supposed to stay on track, but still utilize (and maybe indulge) in all of the great food options that OU has to offer?

“It’s all about balance,” said Chartwells Resident District Manager Gerald Gotto. “You can still have ‘fun’ while taking care of yourself.”

Quality over quantity

OU has a lot of choices — some nutritious and some just plain delicious (think Chick-fil-A).

Yes, you can have pizza and brownies every single night at Vandenberg, but consider this: if you’re going to indulge, wouldn’t you want it to be the best indulgence you could find?

So instead of grabbing an ice cream bar for the sixth night in a row, save yourself for an éclair or fritter at Café O’Bears or a warm La Boulange pastry at Starbucks Coffee when you wake up on a Sunday morning.

Snack attack (and how to avoid one)

A starvation panic — we’ve all been there.

You skipped breakfast, grabbed a smoothie for lunch, and now you’re in your 3 p.m. psych class, ready to eat your notebook. It’s not pretty, but it is avoidable.

Did you know that fruits like apples and oranges can last up to two weeks without refrigeration? Hunter says those should be dorm room staples.

In addition to fresh fruits, consider adding a big bag of mixed nuts, rice cakes, dried fruit and almond or peanut butter to your shopping list.

These snacks can be individually portioned into baggies and have a long shelf life, so you can snack without spoilage.

Be victorious at Vandenberg

Vandenberg is a favorite campus spot to grab a bite to eat for many reasons: it has a lot of variety, and it is buffet-style.

However, it’s a sad truth that when faced with tons of options and limitless portions, we can fall victim to making bad choices.

Fear not. Gotto said that Vandenberg is one of the best-kept dining secrets on campus.

“This year, we’ve got two different dining halls with two different menus,” Gotto said.

Each menu board is posted outside of the upstairs and downstairs Vandenberg eateries, so that students don’t have to swipe their cards and realize that what’s offered isn’t to their liking.

Gotto explained that there is an extensive menu rotation in place.

“We don’t replicate things,” he said.

Gotta reminds us that nutrition information is available at each meal station, so we can stay on track. This rotation of choices keeps things fresh and interesting for residents who may be eating a majority of their meals in the dining hall.

“We want excitement!” Gotto said.

Golden Grizzlies are fooducated”

Do you think all that college students want is junk food? Gotto said you’d be wrong on that one — especially at OU.

“Students want healthier choices, and that drives our menu,” Gotto said. “We were getting produce two to three times a week, and now it’s six times a week.”

OU students aren’t just excelling in the classroom, but in the dining hall as well, pushing Chartwells to provide healthier, more nutritious options with their hunger for healthy.