Applications due for Keeper of the Dream

It has been a tradition for the past 22 years to honor students who have excelled inside and outside of the classroom with the Keeper of the Dream (KOD) Scholarship Award. This year, up to six students will have a chance to receive the scholarship for their contributions in leadership and campus involvement.

The Keeper of the Dream Scholarship Award honors the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King and his vision for civil rights. Oakland University students who have not only been a role model, but have worked at breaking down racial stereotypes and bringing the student body together, have a chance at be selected for the KOD scholarship. 

“The Center of Multicultural Initiatives (CMI) is happy to honor the dream that Dr. King had by investing in our students. Today our students are living his dream and working at breaking down cultural barriers on and off campus,” said Omar Brown-El, Director of the Center for Multicultural Initiatives.

The award ceremony takes place on Jan. 19, 2015 and features a keynote speaker. In previous years the ceremony has had rapper Common, actor Lou Gossett Jr. and civil rights activist Harry Belafonte speak. 

This past January, five Oakland students received the scholarship. Each individual student was awarded the scholarship and given recognition for all of their hard work at the annual celebration. 

Of the five winners, Daniel Lewis, a sophomore at the time, applied and received the scholarship award.

“I applied for the scholarship and was surprised I was selected. At the time I was part of the Circle of Brotherhood and the Association of Black Students,” Lewis said. “I have always been interested in different cultures and did my best to help myself and others become more culturally aware.” 

Another recipient, Raya Hollis, never thought she would receive the award. She learned about it from her RA and applied as a junior. 

“I had never thought about applying for the award until I was a mentor for the CMI,” Hollis said. “Every applicant gets interviewed. I think I received the scholarship because in my interview, I said that if I am selected for this award, anyone can (be). It shows that anyone who offers help or an extra hand can be acknowledged and that they are appreciated.”

The application for the award is due Oct. 10. For more information, please visit oakland.edu/cmi.