“9/11 Twenty Years Later” to commemorate 20th anniversary of 9/11

For the 20th anniversary of Sept. 11, the Center for Civic Engagement (CCE) at Oakland University is hosting a public discussion.

20 years ago, on Sept. 11, the single largest terrorist attack in U.S. history killed nearly 3,000 people and injured thousands at the World Trade Center. To this day, this horrible event has deeply and forever scarred the hearts of anyone old enough to remember the day.

To commemorate and honor the veterans who served in America’s longest war, CCE is hosting two panelists who not only have a deep connection to 9/11 but also the fight against terrorism and the war in Afghanistan: U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin and former U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers.

Slotkin was recruited to and joined the CIA not long after the 9/11 attacks, and Rogers was in Congress at the time of the event and went on to be chair of the House of Intelligence Committee. David Dulio, director of CCE and professor of political science, pointed out this discussion will be interesting and worth joining to hear from these two experts who come from both sides of the political aisle.

20 years have passed, and this event still remains one of the most pivotal points in American history that has irrevocably changed many lives. An important point here is that most teenagers now entering college — or serving in the armed forces — were not yet born on that unforgettable day.

Although it may feel like yesterday that the attacks on 9/11 happened for most people, for this generation of students, it is history. Therefore, teaching them about what happened on Sept. 11 and why this is important in our history is critical for them to understand how big of an impact it had on the country. Later on, it will depend on this generation of students to pass on the history and lessons of 9/11 to those even further removed from this event.

“That day changed our country and the world in a number of ways,” Dulio said. “I think students will learn more about not only what happened on 9/11 but why and what that means for us moving forward.”

With the recent withdrawal of U.S. troops in Afghanistan, Dulio said this discussion will be a great opportunity to not only talk about the 9/11 event but also the broader aspect of the war on terror.

“This conversation is certainly an opportunity to talk about broader issues about the war on terror, the withdrawal from Afghanistan, and others that will come up for discussion,” he said.

CCS hopes to continue to educate and engage the younger generation of students in various topics that may not have a clear understanding of the nation’s history.

The discussion is held at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 9 in the Founders Ballroom A in the Oakland Center. It is open to anyone interested, and they can register by completing the form. In-person seating is limited, and all attendees must abide by all OU’s COVID-19 policies. People who are interested in attending the event virtually will be receiving an email with instructions when they submit the form.

For more details about the event, email professor Dulio at [email protected].