Director of Media Relations believes Oakland ‘has great stories to tell’

It was December, and Brian Bierley was swimming in the rooftop pool of a hotel.

The year was 1992, and Bierley, a University of Michigan senior, was approaching graduation, knowing nothing more about his future than what his diploma would say: Liberal Arts.

At Rice University with the Michigan men’s basketball team that he student

managed, Bierley wasn’t alone that night on the hotel roof—he was joined by the university’s Sports Information Director, Bruce Madej.

“Bruce,” Bierley said, “I’m a senior. I’m going to graduate…I don’t have any skills. I’m not good at anything. What am I going to do?”

According to Bierley, Madej replied, “You absolutely do, Brian. You’re good with people.”

Just a few words of encouragement from a mentor were all it took to bring Bierley from the fringes of indecision firmly into a new, inspired career direction. Never in his wildest dreams could he have predicted the exciting and fulfilling livelihood that was to follow that rooftop conversation.

After working for the Palace of Auburn Hills for over seven years as both a public and media relations director, Bierley moved away from the bright lights of the sports world and into a completely different environment as the media relations coordinator for Beaumont Health System.

Since Bierley’s first major job was with the Palace, he was used to working with high-profile individuals, but at Beaumont, Bierley had to learn to work with big names in an entirely different profession. Being one of the premier health systems in the country, Beaumont offered its own unique set of media-related challenges and opportunities, which Bierley was eager to take head-on.

Although this move in his career was one that he enjoyed for 13 years, Bierley was more than ready to take on larger leadership roles within his career.

Working as a senior media coordinator at Beaumont placed him beneath other individuals, and having had such great success at the Palace, working with the Pistons, the Vipers, and even a professional soccer team, Bierley was ready prove that he could handle a top echelon position.

He was ready for bigger opportunities and greater challenges, but he wasn’t worried about being in charge—he had been building his “media muscles” since graduating in 1993. He was ready.

While employed at Beaumont, Bierley went out on a limb and took an interview with Oakland University, saying, “I was in a win/win situation interviewing at Oakland. I had a great job at Beaumont, but could explore my options to see if Oakland would be a good fit for my next career move.”

Bierley felt at home on campus immediately, and when he was offered the position, it was an enthusiastic “yes.”

The location was perfect—only 15 minutes from his home, and at Oakland, he now had the opportunity to explore all of the areas of media relations he had worked in during each of his previous jobs.

At Oakland, he is able to set up interviews for various departments of the university, work with all the local TV, radio and print media outlets and even get involved with the student journalists on campus.

Bierley added, “I see a lot of journalism talent on this campus and have especially enjoyed getting to know and work with the teams at WXOU and the Post.”

Bierley says he truly believes in the university and that “[Oakland] has great stories to tell.” He hopes to focus on continuing to brand the university to the surrounding local communities, and even the Midwest as a whole.

Recognizing that Oakland is a relatively “young” school, and one that exists, perhaps, in the shadows of Michigan State and the U of M, Bierley says he looks forward to building the reputation of Oakland and showing the country what the university has to offer.

With much work experience under his belt, Bierley knows what can be achieved with perseverance and dedication. More so, Bierley’s story could serve as inspiration for OU students struggling with what may come next after the caps have been tossed at graduation.

“Brian’s can-do attitude is a great asset for University Communications and

Marketing,” said Dave Groves, director of campus communications. “[His attitude] is particularly relative to…the university’s goal to broaden awareness of…the high quality academic programs we offer.”

“It’s been an exciting year at Oakland University,” Bierley said of his first

experiences at OU, “[and] we are looking forward to record enrollment, more students living on campus and new facilities and campus leadership, both academically and athletically, plus a new signature landmark in the Elliott Tower.

“It’s a great time to be a Golden Grizzly.”