Veteran Student Services provides services, support to over 300 OU veterans

Student veterans working with Veteran Support Services dedicate their time to organize a simple and easy process to help students receive the education benefits they deserve.

These services are provided to veterans, who include those who have served and are now out and also anyone in a military capacity, active duty guard or reserves. Today, there are over 300 veterans, service members and dependents of veterans at Oakland University.

“The services provided to the vets here at OU are amazing,” said Chris Johnston, a student veteran at Oakland University.

Johnston served five years in the United States Marine Corps. He was honorably discharged in 2005 and has now been a veteran for nine years. He finds VSS very helpful and said that the process for receiving benefits is simple.

Located in North Foundation Hall, VSS is available any time a student veteran may need guidance. They provide helpful services and can answer any questions, due to them being student veterans themselves. Their goal is to provide all the help possible to make sure students succeed with their academic and personal goals.

“The VSS staff at OU, in addition to the Student Veterans at OU student organization, goes above and beyond to make veterans feel inclusive and succeed in a higher education environment,” said Chanel Daniels, a student veteran at Oakland University and member of SVOU and VSS. “We do this despite the parallel differences to the learning environment we may be used to, with the upmost integrity and resiliency.”

Members of VSS are knowledgeable when it comes to handling all information that is needed by students. They provide information that may be needed to use veteran or military benefits. If for any reason they may not be able to help with something, they will transfer students to other campus offices for specific questions and concerns. VSS also hosts and assists with both social and networking events.

“The primary push for my recent involvement with SVOU and VSS is their ability to empathize, motivate and encourage student veterans, including myself, to pursue their ambitions and be a part of the community at OU,” Daniels said.