Graham Health Center holds ‘iPause for Pizza’

Between classes, studying, friends and work, college students have a lot to contend with day in and day out.

Julie Proctor, Health and Wellness Coordinator at Graham Health Center, is making efforts on campus in an attempt to eradicate some of that stress from students’ lives.

In collaboration with Dr. David Schwartz, Director of Counseling at GHC, Proctor developed the “iPause” program; a workshop-style presentation available for commission on campus to classes, groups and organizations which promote self-awareness, offer tips for stress management and shows students all that GHC has to offer.

Proctor held her newest iteration of iPause Wednesday, Oct. 14, called iPause for Pizza.

From 5:30-7:30 p.m. in Kresge Library, Proctor and staff supplied students with free pizza, stress balls and kindness cards to help lessen the stress of midterm study cramming.

Proctor said that the main goals of the event were to promote GHC services and to emphasize to students just how important it is that they recognize that their personal mindset plays a “huge role” in their happiness.

Students were asked to think about kindness and gratitude, finishing the event with writing what they were grateful for on a banner.

“It’s a fun way to meet the students and talk to them about the available resources,” Proctor said. “A lot of students had not heard about us so it was an opportunity to reach a new group of people.”

Oakland sophomore Anna Roberts said she would gladly take part in an event like iPause for Pizza.

“It sounds like a relaxing break from the panic of exams,” Roberts said. “It would be nice to feel encouraged to take any amount of time to just take a breath and have an actual meal with peers. Emphasizing the importance of stress management during exams is genius.”

Proctor and the GHC are thinking of new ways to incorporate studying, snacks and meals, and pertinent information for stress management during college into fun and appealing events for all students.

Proctor advises that students be on the lookout for more stress management events as finals approach, and to consider stopping by to see what she and the GHC have to offer.