Letter to the Editor: Regarding comic strip

Editor’s note: The Oakland Post regrets the decision to run the “Note to Self” comic featured on last week’s “Mouthing Off” satire page. During this semester, we have covered Greek life in stories chronicling sorority bid day, Oakland’s TKE fraternity’s positive response to a national scandal, the Greek council’s reaction to the Yik Yak app, and a “Photo of the Week” featuring a Zeta Sigma Chi fundraising event. The Post has and will continue to provide objective coverage of all campus organizations and to champion their contributions to the community.

To the Oakland Post:

I must say that the Greek Organizations on campus have been less than happy with the portrayal of a specific Greek Organization in a recent comic strip. As a member of that Greek Organization and the President of the Interfraternity Council (IFC) I must say that I am blown away by the Post’s slanderous portrayal of not just that organization, but of Greek Life and fraternities as a whole.

Many strides have been made in recent months with regards to improved perception of Greek Life, yet the Post continues to allow publications fulfilling all of the expected stereotypes of Greek organizations.

Allow me to provide real facts about Greek Life on campus:

• Gamma Phi Beta, in the last three years, has raised more than $30,000 for charity; more than any other organization on campus.
  • Phi Sigma Sigma hosts an annual Kicks for Kids charity event raising over $1,000 each year.
  •  Alpha Delta Pi (on the day this comic was released) held a bake sale outside of the Oakland Center benefitting Ronald McDonald House.
  • Sigma Alpha Epsilon handed out pancakes to students at the beginning of this semester.
  • All Greek men will be trained in prevention and advocacy of sexual violence by OUPD.
  • Alpha Sigma Tau volunteers and supports HAVEN, a support center and living quarters for women who have suffered domestic abuse.
  • Last year through Greek Week over $2,500 was raised for Make a Wish Foundation, allowing one child to have a wish granted.
  • On Monday, October 20th, all Greeks will be partaking in “Greeks Give Back Week” raising money and awareness for UNICEF.

As you can see Greek life on campus is more than just what the Post has chosen to portray. We all take our organizations very seriously and hope that campus will notice our great efforts. However we cannot do so when the Post continues to be an outlet for outright defamation of Greek Organizations. Please consider a written and verbal apology (at the upcoming Greek Council meeting on October 26th). We ALL look forward to mending our relationship and hope that the Post will take notice of the many great events and efforts that the Greek community has made over the last few years.

Best,

Sam Harris